Islington boxer beats Haringey rival to reach London semi-finals
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Reece Shagourie overcame Kingsley Okolie (Haringey Police ABC) to win his second successive divisional title at the England Boxing Elite Championships.
Shagourie had to box Dale Youth ABC’s highly-rated Kyle Roache in the Under-75kg North West London semi-final and countered well off the back foot in the opening round, forcing his opponent to adjust his usual style.
Sharp counter-punches from the Islington boxer caught the eye in the second round and, although Roache landed a couple of telling rights, the last was all one-way traffic as Shagourie secured a unanimous decision.
That took the Islington southpaw through to face the in-form Okolie in the final the following day and the Haringey man produced a hard overhand right that forced him to back away.
However, Shagourie found his range at the start of the second round, firing in two straight lefts that stunned his opponent and, boxing at long range in the third, he did enough to clinch another unanimous verdict.
You may also want to watch:
That took Shagourie through to the London semi-finals, which will be held today (Thursday) at the TA Centre, Grove Park. The final is scheduled to take place two days later.
In the North East London division, Lion ABC’s Haithem Laamouz lost out to Charlie Driscoll (West Ham) on a unanimous decision.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 8 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 9 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 10 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington
Former Islington BC captain Aarron Morgan is back in the ring on Friday when he fights an opponent yet to be named on Mickey Helliet’s show at the Camden Centre, Kings Cross.
Morgan, who turned 26 earlier this week, has won both his professional contests since joining the paid ranks last autumn. Light-welterweight Ben Day, from Camden, is also scheduled to appear on the bill.