Islington boxer Ryder seals victory over Michael Guy on points in Florida
- Credit: PA
Islington super-middleweight southpaw John Ryder successfully maintained his very high world ranking with a ten round unanimous points decision over Californian Michael “The Menace” Guy at Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, in Florida.
All three judges scored it in favour of the very popular north London fighter.
Alex Levin went for 100-90 (meaning Ryder had won every round); Mike Ross saw it 99-91; while John Rupert scored it closer with a 96-94 victory for Ryder.
This particular narrow scoreline was very difficult to comprehend.
Ryder dominated the fight from the first bell to the last, stalking his opponent throughout each of the many one sided rounds. Indeed it was only in the tenth and final round that Guy attempted to be more offensive and tried to open up with hooks of his own, few landing however.
You may also want to watch:
The Californian boxed at a distance and was on the defensive for most of the contest and often tried to hold inside in an attempt to try to lessen Ryder’s fire power and to interrupt his punch flow and rhythm to the body.
After being out of the ring for over a year, mainly due to the Covid-19 pandemic, it proved to be a good workout for Ryder, enabling him to get some ring rust out of his system and get a competitive ten rounds under his belt.
- 1 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 2 Low Traffic Islington coalition launched to support council's LTN roll-out
- 3 Open spaces, LTNs, vouchers, vaccinations and neonatal care
- 4 Plans to chop down 70-year-old Islington mulberry tree paused
- 5 WATCH: Air ambulance called to Islington flat fire
- 6 'Real disappointment' over uptake of Covid vaccine among care home staff
- 7 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 8 Police force entry to alleged Islington 'house party' amid pandemic
- 9 'This is the end of my political career': Richard Watts stands down
- 10 Over-65s vaccinations begin in England as centre reports lack of patients
Ryder’s southpaw jab landed well consistently and his sharp hooks to both head and body often troubled the American who was constantly on the move using the ring to stay out of danger as best he could.
Guy, whose nickname “The Menace” was emblazoned on the waistband of his trunks, failed to live up to his reputation as he was so well controlled by Ryder throughout the contest.
Ryder will be looking in 2021 at hopefully another shot at one of the versions of the world super-middleweight championship.
Promoter Eddie Hearn, of Matchroom Boxing who promoted this show along with GGG Promotions, will be favourably placed to get him his second chance at major world honours.
Ryder’s ring record now stands at 29 victories (16 inside) with just 5 losses.