Islington boxer remains unbeaten after points victory at York Hall
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGS Photo
Islington lightweight ‘Mustard’ Mike Peart made a successful step up to six rounds as he comfortably outpointed Kristian Laight on Saturday at York Hall.
The 28-year-old, whose previous contests had all been four-rounders, was in dominant mood, taking the fight to his opponent from the start with a series of fast left jabs and following up with hard body shots.
Laight – appearing in his 210th professional fight – made himself a difficult target, persistently switching from orthodox to southpaw and back again and boxing sideways on.
Peart was warned by referee Lee Cook for a punch to the back in the third round – and he then had a point deducted during the fifth for the same offence.
But there was never any doubt that the Islington man’s extra mobility and faster hand speed would earn him his third professional victory – and he was duly awarded the fight, 59-54.
You may also want to watch:
“It was the first time I’d boxed six rounds, so I did my best to compose myself against a more experienced opponent and I felt it went well,” said Peart.
John Ryder is lined up to box again in the new year as he continues to try and force his way back into the reckoning for a third shot at the British middleweight title.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 9 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
The Islington southpaw, whose only two professional defeats have come in British title fights – to Billy Joe Saunders and Nick Blackwell – will feature on the Matchroom Promotions show at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday January 30.
It will be the 27-year-old’s first appearance at the east London venue since his narrow points loss to Saunders in September 2013.