Islington boxer remains unbeaten after points victory at York Hall
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGS Photo
Islington lightweight ‘Mustard’ Mike Peart made a successful step up to six rounds as he comfortably outpointed Kristian Laight on Saturday at York Hall.
The 28-year-old, whose previous contests had all been four-rounders, was in dominant mood, taking the fight to his opponent from the start with a series of fast left jabs and following up with hard body shots.
Laight – appearing in his 210th professional fight – made himself a difficult target, persistently switching from orthodox to southpaw and back again and boxing sideways on.
Peart was warned by referee Lee Cook for a punch to the back in the third round – and he then had a point deducted during the fifth for the same offence.
But there was never any doubt that the Islington man’s extra mobility and faster hand speed would earn him his third professional victory – and he was duly awarded the fight, 59-54.
You may also want to watch:
“It was the first time I’d boxed six rounds, so I did my best to compose myself against a more experienced opponent and I felt it went well,” said Peart.
John Ryder is lined up to box again in the new year as he continues to try and force his way back into the reckoning for a third shot at the British middleweight title.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 8 'I was not jealous': MP Claudia Webbe denies harrasment charge
- 9 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 10 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
The Islington southpaw, whose only two professional defeats have come in British title fights – to Billy Joe Saunders and Nick Blackwell – will feature on the Matchroom Promotions show at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday January 30.
It will be the 27-year-old’s first appearance at the east London venue since his narrow points loss to Saunders in September 2013.