Boxing: Islington members back with a bang
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club had three boxers in action in the preliminary rounds of the London Development Championships at The Roundhouse in Dagenham.
The event represented the first show of the new season for the active Hazellville Road club and debutant Senay Kahssay beat Faheed Fareed (Omnibus Loxford) in their Class A under-69kg contest.
Kahsay comfortably won the first two rounds before Fareed's corner decided to retire their boxer before the start of the third round.
The next contests pitted two Islington boxers together, with Islam Llabjani defeating Kevin Agbodzah via a 4-1 split decision in a very competitive contest.
On Saturday, Islington once again had three boxers compete in the championships and Kashsay defeated Onur Groogan (Repton) via unanimous decision, outboxing his opponent to pick up his fifth straight victory in the amateurs.
You may also want to watch:
Llabjani was beaten by the currently unbeaten Precieux Noka (Croydon) via unanimous decision, after losing the first and last rounds.
Ruhel 'Bob' Miah defeated southpaw boxer Alex Breen (Danson) via unanimous decision in their Class B under-56kg contest, winning the first and third rounds to progress to the finals of the London rounds.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 9 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
Islington will have Judah Meade (Class A, U60kg) and Kashay in semi-final action on Friday.
Miah, George Bartlett (Junior, U48kg) and Odera Okwuosa (Class B, over-91kg) are boxing on Sunday in the London finals, hoping to be joined by their teammates.
Jacob Johnson (Junioor U75kg), Emma Fitzgerald (Female Class A, U57kg), Sunni Torgman (Female Class B, U60kg), Tessa Jones (Female Classs A, U51kg), Charlotte Briant (Female Class A, U75kg) and Laura Weis (Female Class B, U54kg) are through to the National stages of the Development Championships on walkovers.