Islington Boxing Club receives a major boost in fundraising campaign
- Credit: Islington Boxing Club
Islington Boxing Club has received a boost to its hopes of redeveloping its red portacabin building in Hazellville Road to build a new boxing club and community facility.
A kind-hearted member of the public got his running shoes on to help raise money towards the new build project.
Joseph Samuel took part in the South Devon Endurance Life 10k on Saturday and has raised over £2,200 towards the project.
He said: “I pass the Islington Boxing Club several times a week and have read a bit about the excellent work they do for young people and athletes of all ages in my local community.
“They are long overdue a purpose-built venue, which will house a traditional boxing gym, designed to serve the elite boxer as well as the academy and junior boxer, but also recreational classes, keep fit sessions and a multipurpose gym, available to all.
You may also want to watch:
“Education is also at the heart of the club's plans. A designated classroom will enable lessons in nutrition and sport science, whilst a treatment room will offer sports massage and associated treatments.
"The England Boxing squads, and the Great Britain Olympic Boxing team will benefit from this facility as well.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
“As with everything, I've left it late, but have decided to try to raise a few quid for something useful while having a run along the cliffs of Devon.
"It's only 10km, but I'm middle aged, creaking and much more suited to much shorter distances, plus IBC is a great institution and cause.”
Unfortunately, Joseph’s Strava app was on pause during the first half of the run, so he wasn’t sure of his exact time in the 10k run on Saturday, but it was just over the hour mark, he said.
Dony Spiro, new build project manager and club committee member, said: “The club would like to take the opportunity to thank Joseph for raising money towards our new build project. The work to raise the £4 million required is now under way.
“If you can spare some money to help, get there it will be appreciated by generations of Londoners.”
The main Just Giving page for the New Build Project is at https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/newbuildislington or you can donate to Joseph's initiative by visiting https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Joseph-Samuel.