Islington Boxing Club star defeats Welsh national champion
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Valerian Spicer warmed up for her next international fight with victory against Welsh champion Charlene Jones at Merlins Bridge.
Spicer, who heads to Mexico at the end of this month to represent Dominica in the Pan American Games qualifiers, overcame her opponent on a split decision in the four-round 60kg contest.
The Islington fighter began at a slow pace in the opening round, but she used her range to counter-punch as the fight went on, causing problems for Jones with a series of long shots and uppercuts.
Spicer was joined on the show by her Islington team-mate Ramel Smith, who was also victorious on a split decision in his 70kg clash with the home club’s Phil Dorde.
Smith struggled to close the distance against his taller opponent in the first round, but he gradually picked up the pace and threw the cleaner shots, including some excellent combination punches, to seal victory.
You may also want to watch:
Islington’s Cherrelle Brown has been called up to box for England at the GB Senior Elite Three Nations tournament which takes place in Rotherham this weekend.
Meanwhile, Tommy Kerrigan and Caroline Dubois have both received byes to the national finals of the England Boxing Schools Championship later this month.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'