Islington Boxing Club star defeats Welsh national champion
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Valerian Spicer warmed up for her next international fight with victory against Welsh champion Charlene Jones at Merlins Bridge.
Spicer, who heads to Mexico at the end of this month to represent Dominica in the Pan American Games qualifiers, overcame her opponent on a split decision in the four-round 60kg contest.
The Islington fighter began at a slow pace in the opening round, but she used her range to counter-punch as the fight went on, causing problems for Jones with a series of long shots and uppercuts.
Spicer was joined on the show by her Islington team-mate Ramel Smith, who was also victorious on a split decision in his 70kg clash with the home club’s Phil Dorde.
Smith struggled to close the distance against his taller opponent in the first round, but he gradually picked up the pace and threw the cleaner shots, including some excellent combination punches, to seal victory.
You may also want to watch:
Islington’s Cherrelle Brown has been called up to box for England at the GB Senior Elite Three Nations tournament which takes place in Rotherham this weekend.
Meanwhile, Tommy Kerrigan and Caroline Dubois have both received byes to the national finals of the England Boxing Schools Championship later this month.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 3 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run