Islington Boxing Club teenager strikes gold at Dublin tournament
- Credit: Archant
Callum Angel-Taylor proved Islington Boxing Club’s star turn at the Monkstown Box Cup in Dublin.
Angel-Taylor claimed gold following impressive performances in the semi-final and then final of the Under-54kg boys’ four (born 2000) category in the tournament at the Holy Child Community School in Sallynoggin.
The stylish teenager proved too classy for semi-final opponent Lee McKee from the Star Boxing Club in Belfast, making good use of double-handed attacks and countering McKee with solid over-hand rights to dominate throughout.
The final provided a second Irish test against Adam Gilchrist of Docklands Boxing Club, and this proved more one-sided than the semi-final as Angel-Taylor constantly pressed his rival back with attacks to both head and body.
It proved all too much for Gilchrist and the referee called a halt late in the second round immediately following a standing eight count.
You may also want to watch:
Islington BC now hope to enter Angel-Taylor into the Junior Development Championships in late August or early September.
IBC’s second Box Cup competitor should have been current English schoolgirl champion Caroline Dubois, but her opponent for the Under-54 girls’ three (born 2001) final, Ellie Preston, of Corinthians BC, Dublin was unable to fight due to illness.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
However, in a great gesture, organisers awarded Dubois with a gold medal as she had made the weight and was ready to box.
Hopes of a third medal for Islington had been dashed earlier in the week when Tommy Kerrigan was forced to withdraw from the Under-72kg boys’ three (born 2001) class event through injury.
In addition to their box Cup trio, IBC had two fighters involved in skills contests. Prince Dubois and Carlos Bain gave impressive displays, the latter defying pain from a fractured foot to gain more valuable experience in what is his first season in amateur boxing.