Islington Boxing Club teenager strikes gold at Dublin tournament
- Credit: Archant
Callum Angel-Taylor proved Islington Boxing Club’s star turn at the Monkstown Box Cup in Dublin.
Angel-Taylor claimed gold following impressive performances in the semi-final and then final of the Under-54kg boys’ four (born 2000) category in the tournament at the Holy Child Community School in Sallynoggin.
The stylish teenager proved too classy for semi-final opponent Lee McKee from the Star Boxing Club in Belfast, making good use of double-handed attacks and countering McKee with solid over-hand rights to dominate throughout.
The final provided a second Irish test against Adam Gilchrist of Docklands Boxing Club, and this proved more one-sided than the semi-final as Angel-Taylor constantly pressed his rival back with attacks to both head and body.
It proved all too much for Gilchrist and the referee called a halt late in the second round immediately following a standing eight count.
You may also want to watch:
Islington BC now hope to enter Angel-Taylor into the Junior Development Championships in late August or early September.
IBC’s second Box Cup competitor should have been current English schoolgirl champion Caroline Dubois, but her opponent for the Under-54 girls’ three (born 2001) final, Ellie Preston, of Corinthians BC, Dublin was unable to fight due to illness.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 3 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 10 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
However, in a great gesture, organisers awarded Dubois with a gold medal as she had made the weight and was ready to box.
Hopes of a third medal for Islington had been dashed earlier in the week when Tommy Kerrigan was forced to withdraw from the Under-72kg boys’ three (born 2001) class event through injury.
In addition to their box Cup trio, IBC had two fighters involved in skills contests. Prince Dubois and Carlos Bain gave impressive displays, the latter defying pain from a fractured foot to gain more valuable experience in what is his first season in amateur boxing.