Islington Boxing Club trio all reach semi-finals of national championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC trio Scott Smart, Jeff Ofori and Sherif Musah are all through to the last four of the Development Championships after quarter-final victories last weekend.
The three Islington boxers all triumphed by unanimous points decisions and will now travel to the Isle of Sheppey on Saturday to fight for places in their respective national finals.
Smart faced Karl Day (CBSA) in his Class A Under-52kg quarter-final and started slowly before raising his work-rate with some eye-catching combinations towards the end of the first round.
The Islington boxer kept up the pressure in the second and third rounds, landing the best scoring punches, and it was no surprise when his arm was raised at the end of the contest.
Ofori took on Shaqfat Khan (Lewsey BC) in the Class B Under-64kg quarter-final and established a pattern as he stalked his taller opponent and waited for attacking opportunities.
You may also want to watch:
The Islington club captain slowed Khan down with a series of strong body punches before picking up the pace during the third and fourth rounds, and the outcome was never in doubt.
Musah was the last of the Islington trio into the ring, facing Lloyd Smith (Aylesbury) in the Class B Under-81kg quarter-final.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 10 Arsenal Women player of the season award nominations
As in previous rounds, Musah used his strength to wear his opponent down and worked behind a solid jab – which he could have employed to greater effect – but it was still enough.
There were mixed fortunes for three Islington youngsters on the CSM show at Tilbury the same night.
Safi Abdullah won an entertaining clash with I Farrell (CSM), giving his opponent a standing eight count in the opening round to win by unanimous decision.
Gerard McDonagh recovered from a slow start against A Javid (Bury ABC), landing some straight shots in the second round, but it was his opponent who gained a unanimous verdict.
And David-James Moore, making his Islington debut, lost out on a split decision to B Davey (CSM) despite finishing strongly.