Islington Boxing Club youngster triumphs in comeback fight ahead of junior championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Callum Angel-Taylor warmed up for the upcoming junior championships with victory on a Holland Park ABC show at the Hassenbrook Academy, Stanford-le-Hope.
The 15-year-old was back in the ring for the first time since September and controlled his 57kg clash with Louie O’Doherty (Chelmsford ABC) from the start.
Angel-Taylor landed some eye-catching uppercuts and right-hand shots as he moved onto the front foot and wore down his opponent, working both head and body.
Despite tiring in the final round, the Islington boxer was a clear winner and it was something of a surprise that he gained a split rather than a unanimous decision.
Islington’s Ernie Swinhoe was in action on the same show, but he lost out in a 55kg contest to J Booker (Atherstone) after relying too much on his counter-punching ability.
You may also want to watch:
Two other youngsters from the Hazellville Road club took part in skills contests – 11-year-old Sonny Devine facing Holland Park’s P Casey, and William Nantu, 12, taking on another home boxer, J Love.
Islington BC heavyweight Sherif Musah will make his first defence of the English title this weekend at Rainton Meadows, Co Durham, against Declan Fusco (Birtley ABC).
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
Musah secured the newly-created title last month by overcoming the experienced Gary Daley (Southend) in their clash at York Hall.