Islington Boxing Club youngster triumphs in comeback fight ahead of junior championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Callum Angel-Taylor warmed up for the upcoming junior championships with victory on a Holland Park ABC show at the Hassenbrook Academy, Stanford-le-Hope.
The 15-year-old was back in the ring for the first time since September and controlled his 57kg clash with Louie O’Doherty (Chelmsford ABC) from the start.
Angel-Taylor landed some eye-catching uppercuts and right-hand shots as he moved onto the front foot and wore down his opponent, working both head and body.
Despite tiring in the final round, the Islington boxer was a clear winner and it was something of a surprise that he gained a split rather than a unanimous decision.
Islington’s Ernie Swinhoe was in action on the same show, but he lost out in a 55kg contest to J Booker (Atherstone) after relying too much on his counter-punching ability.
You may also want to watch:
Two other youngsters from the Hazellville Road club took part in skills contests – 11-year-old Sonny Devine facing Holland Park’s P Casey, and William Nantu, 12, taking on another home boxer, J Love.
Islington BC heavyweight Sherif Musah will make his first defence of the English title this weekend at Rainton Meadows, Co Durham, against Declan Fusco (Birtley ABC).
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Musah secured the newly-created title last month by overcoming the experienced Gary Daley (Southend) in their clash at York Hall.