Islington boy claims hat-trick of medals at British karate championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington youngster Luca Veras collected two individual gold medals and a third in the team events at the British Institute Karate Organisation Championships in Harlow.
The eight-year-old, a member of the Islington-based Veras Academy squad, won both the individual kumite and mixed individual kata for Under-nines.
He also linked up with team-mates Jack Gentili, also eight, and seven-year-old Isaac Gibson to win the gold medal in the Under-nine boys’ team kumite.
Veras and Gentili won silver medals in the Under-nine pairs kata too, while Liam Veras and Seyhan Cinar matched that achievement in the 10-13 years age group.
Cinar also clinched a silver medal in the individual kata (10-12 years) and bronze in the individual fight category, with Chloe Casimir taking the equivalent silver and bronze in the 13-15 years age group.
You may also want to watch:
The squad won two more individual bronze medals at Harlow, courtesy of Liam Veras in the 10-12 years kata and Patricia Perote in the Over-18 fight open category.
Andras Tamas also picked up bronze in the Over-18 team kumite, as did eight-year-old Makhae Rosengrove and Daniel Gardner and Robert Stanev, both nine, in the Under-nines boys’ team kumite.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
Chief instructor Raphael Veras said: “All our competitors did really well and learned useful lessons from this experience. I am very pleased with the way they performed under pressure.”
For more information about Veras Academy, who run regular classes at Ringcross Community Centre, call 07886 495 135 or visit www.verasacademy.co.uk