Islington boy claims hat-trick of medals at British karate championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington youngster Luca Veras collected two individual gold medals and a third in the team events at the British Institute Karate Organisation Championships in Harlow.
The eight-year-old, a member of the Islington-based Veras Academy squad, won both the individual kumite and mixed individual kata for Under-nines.
He also linked up with team-mates Jack Gentili, also eight, and seven-year-old Isaac Gibson to win the gold medal in the Under-nine boys’ team kumite.
Veras and Gentili won silver medals in the Under-nine pairs kata too, while Liam Veras and Seyhan Cinar matched that achievement in the 10-13 years age group.
Cinar also clinched a silver medal in the individual kata (10-12 years) and bronze in the individual fight category, with Chloe Casimir taking the equivalent silver and bronze in the 13-15 years age group.
You may also want to watch:
The squad won two more individual bronze medals at Harlow, courtesy of Liam Veras in the 10-12 years kata and Patricia Perote in the Over-18 fight open category.
Andras Tamas also picked up bronze in the Over-18 team kumite, as did eight-year-old Makhae Rosengrove and Daniel Gardner and Robert Stanev, both nine, in the Under-nines boys’ team kumite.
- 1 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Chief instructor Raphael Veras said: “All our competitors did really well and learned useful lessons from this experience. I am very pleased with the way they performed under pressure.”
For more information about Veras Academy, who run regular classes at Ringcross Community Centre, call 07886 495 135 or visit www.verasacademy.co.uk