Islington boy crosses Europe to win three karate gold medals in one weekend
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s Luan Veras shrugged off a punishing travel schedule to clinch three gold medals in two different countries over the same weekend.
The 12-year-old, who trains at Ringcross Community Centre, won gold twice at the International Marmara Cup in Istanbul on Friday and helped the Veras Academy team to a creditable 16th place in the table.
Arriving back in London late on Saturday with his father and academy head coach Raphael Veras, the youngster then travelled through the night to reach Paris – where he added another gold medal at the French Cup.
The Veras Academy contingent collected a total of seven medals in Istanbul, where Luan linked up with his younger brothers Liam and Luca to win the team kata (10-12 years) event.
Luan also secured the individual gold medal at Under-45kg, with Liam, 11, matching that feat at Under-30kg and nine-year-old Isaac Gibson and his brother Dylan, seven, both claiming bronze at Under-25kg.
You may also want to watch:
Luan is now training in preparation for the British Judo Championships, which take place in Sheffield at the start of next month.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park