Islington boy crosses Europe to win three karate gold medals in one weekend
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s Luan Veras shrugged off a punishing travel schedule to clinch three gold medals in two different countries over the same weekend.
The 12-year-old, who trains at Ringcross Community Centre, won gold twice at the International Marmara Cup in Istanbul on Friday and helped the Veras Academy team to a creditable 16th place in the table.
Arriving back in London late on Saturday with his father and academy head coach Raphael Veras, the youngster then travelled through the night to reach Paris – where he added another gold medal at the French Cup.
The Veras Academy contingent collected a total of seven medals in Istanbul, where Luan linked up with his younger brothers Liam and Luca to win the team kata (10-12 years) event.
Luan also secured the individual gold medal at Under-45kg, with Liam, 11, matching that feat at Under-30kg and nine-year-old Isaac Gibson and his brother Dylan, seven, both claiming bronze at Under-25kg.
You may also want to watch:
Luan is now training in preparation for the British Judo Championships, which take place in Sheffield at the start of next month.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'