Islington boy wins third successive gold medal at judo
- Credit: Archant
Islington youngster Luca Veras claimed his third consecutive gold medal on Sunday since graduating to red belt level in the summer.
The eight-year-old, a student at Sacred Heart School, has been practising for four years and travels to Moberly Judo Club, Westminster, at least twice each week for training.
He joined his brother Luan, 11, at the British Judo Association London area competition towards the end of last month, with both collecting gold medals.
Luca won four contests, taking the Under-30kg yellow belt honours with ippon, while Luan came through seven gruelling fights in the Under-42kg orange to green belts.
A third brother, 10-year-old Liam, battled hard in the Under-32kg yellow belt category but did not qualify for a medal despite putting plenty of effort into each of his six fights.
You may also want to watch:
But there was further success for Luca on Sunday at the Southern Area Red Belt Rumble in Crawley, where he displayed confidence in all his techniques to win another gold medal.
Sensei Basil Dawkins, who trains all three brothers at Moberly Judo Club, said: “I’m really happy with Luca’s performance and hold great expectations for his future career as a judo athlete.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault