Islington’s Broadhurst celebrates birthday with European gold
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the Islington Boxing Club
Islington’s Amy Broadhurst celebrated her 22nd birthday in style with a gold medal in the 60kg category at the EUBC European Under-22 Boxing Championships.
Broadhurst travelled to the Russian city of Vladikavkasz for the event which drew a field of top talent from across the continent.
The Islington amateur kicked off the competition in the preliminary rounds with a victory by unanimous decision over Turkish rival En Gizem.
In the quarter-finals, Broadhurst took on Hungary’s Kiga Mazovari and won again by unanimous decision.
You may also want to watch:
The semi-finals saw Broadhurst come up against Fatia Benmessahel of France, who she beat by split decision.
That took Broadhurst into her sixth European final where she beat Italian Rebecca Nicoli by split decision for a fifth European gold medal.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
It was a brilliant success for Broadhurst in Russia that was fully deserved following months of hard work in training and the 22-year-old have herself the best birthday present.