Islington’s Broadhurst celebrates birthday with European gold
- Credit: Archant
The latest news from the Islington Boxing Club
Islington’s Amy Broadhurst celebrated her 22nd birthday in style with a gold medal in the 60kg category at the EUBC European Under-22 Boxing Championships.
Broadhurst travelled to the Russian city of Vladikavkasz for the event which drew a field of top talent from across the continent.
The Islington amateur kicked off the competition in the preliminary rounds with a victory by unanimous decision over Turkish rival En Gizem.
In the quarter-finals, Broadhurst took on Hungary’s Kiga Mazovari and won again by unanimous decision.
You may also want to watch:
The semi-finals saw Broadhurst come up against Fatia Benmessahel of France, who she beat by split decision.
That took Broadhurst into her sixth European final where she beat Italian Rebecca Nicoli by split decision for a fifth European gold medal.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
It was a brilliant success for Broadhurst in Russia that was fully deserved following months of hard work in training and the 22-year-old have herself the best birthday present.