Islington & Camden beat Barnet to claim second successive win
- Credit: Archant
Midfielder Ben Julian scored his first goal for Islington & Camden Under-12s and set up another as they blitzed Barnet 4-2 for their second successive victory.
The I&C boys overwhelmed their visitors with two goals in the first three minutes and ran out comfortable winners, despite a fightback from Barnet in the second half.
Sol Scheinmann’s through ball sent Mark Stephenson clear to slot home the opening goal and Julian made it 2-0 almost immediately, directing a classy header into the net from Connor O’Malley’s corner.
Islington & Camden extended their lead further on 20 minutes as Julian played a ball in for Stephenson, who netted the rebound after his initial effort had been saved.
Barnet replied to make it 3-1 as their hosts began to tire after the break, but I&C restored their three-goal advantage, with Joe Bentham crossing for Tyrice Litchmore to sidefoot in his first district goal.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors pulled another goal back late on with a free-kick that eluded everyone and bounced in at the far post, but it was not enough to deny Islington & Camden the victory.
“We came out of the blocks so well and Ben was outstanding,” said I&C manager Jim de Garis. “His general play was very good and his header was lovely.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 3 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 4 Call for tech donations to tackle digital divide in students
- 5 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 6 Hospital staff describe 'distressing' battle against rising Covid cases
- 7 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 8 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack
- 9 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 10 Two 17-year-olds charged after alleged knifepoint robbery in Highgate
Roman Williams was man of the match for Islington & Camden Under-13s as he held their threadbare defence together against Barnet.
I&C were hit by early injuries to centre-backs Tyrone Willis Alvarez and Kamal Bannerman-Thompson, but William’s resolute efforts forced Barnet to work for their 5-2 win.
Trailing 3-0 at half-time, I&C fought back when Binyam Mesfin (Regent High) netted a penalty following a foul on Nana Aggrey-Adams and Zane Nicholas (Haverstock) also found the net before the home side added two more goals to seal victory.