Islington & Camden beat Barnet to secure Middlesex title
- Credit: Archant
Islington & Camden Under-15s gained revenge for their English Schools Trophy defeat as they won 3-2 at Barnet and clinched the Middlesex championship with two games to spare.
The I&C boys, whose only loss this season was their cup exit to Barnet, fell behind inside five minutes on Saturday following an uncharacteristic error from goalkeeper Jonty Purdom.
Johnathon Tlalim and Franklin Domi came close to equalising before the latter set up Dean O’Shaughnessy, who fired into the top corner.
O’Shaughnessy grabbed his second from a corner to make it 2-1 at half-time, but slack defending from I&C after the break enabled the home side to draw level.
However, the visitors – inspired by man of the match Samuel Ababio – continued to press for a winner and gained their reward when Ozcan Guneysu’s inswinging free-kick was glanced home by Ezra Ndukuba.
You may also want to watch:
I&C manager Jamie Houghton said: “It’s really nice to be ending our final season together with the boys picking up a trophy. They played really well.
“We shouldn’t forget the other boys who have contributed at other times throughout the season. It’s been a really good effort by the whole squad and they should all be very proud.”
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington