Islington & Camden beat Barnet to secure Middlesex title
- Credit: Archant
Islington & Camden Under-15s gained revenge for their English Schools Trophy defeat as they won 3-2 at Barnet and clinched the Middlesex championship with two games to spare.
The I&C boys, whose only loss this season was their cup exit to Barnet, fell behind inside five minutes on Saturday following an uncharacteristic error from goalkeeper Jonty Purdom.
Johnathon Tlalim and Franklin Domi came close to equalising before the latter set up Dean O’Shaughnessy, who fired into the top corner.
O’Shaughnessy grabbed his second from a corner to make it 2-1 at half-time, but slack defending from I&C after the break enabled the home side to draw level.
However, the visitors – inspired by man of the match Samuel Ababio – continued to press for a winner and gained their reward when Ozcan Guneysu’s inswinging free-kick was glanced home by Ezra Ndukuba.
You may also want to watch:
I&C manager Jamie Houghton said: “It’s really nice to be ending our final season together with the boys picking up a trophy. They played really well.
“We shouldn’t forget the other boys who have contributed at other times throughout the season. It’s been a really good effort by the whole squad and they should all be very proud.”
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 6 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 7 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 8 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 9 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 10 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'