Islington & Camden beaten by Hackney despite late comeback
- Credit: Archant
A second-half fightback was not enough to keep Islington & Camden Under-13s in the Sydney Gill Cup as they went down 4-2 at Hackney.
The home side struck early on, making use of their pace and direct style to run onto balls beyond the defence and go 2-0 up inside the opening 10 minutes.
I&C gradually fought their way back into the game thanks to the hard graft of Charlie Wickham and Darnell Joe-Luke in midfield, while Shae Hutchinson forced a good save from the goalkeeper.
But Hackney remained two goals to the good at half-time and they extended their lead almost immediately after the restart, exploiting their opponents’ ability to deal with the aerial ball.
I&C refused to give up and they pulled a goal back when Hutchinson tucked away a penalty 12 minutes later.
You may also want to watch:
Hackney added a fourth goal with a chip that sailed over Jonty Purdom, but the visitors rounded off the scoring with a consolation strike from Zane Matthew.
I&C coach Andy Taylor said: “We got caught cold at the start and that was always going to make it difficult. It was a good, spirited performance in the second half and the scoreline reflected that.”
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
Islington & Camden: Wickham (St Paul’s), Matthew (UCS), Purdom, Kanyejo, Williams-Lauder (UCL), Ming (Islington Arts & Media), Swash (Central Foundation), Hutchinson, Domi (St Mary Magdalene), Joe-Luke (Haverstock), Appah (St Aloysius).