Islington & Camden boys hold off Croydon in Corinthian Shield final
- Credit: Archant
Islington & Camden Under-15s survived a late scare to beat Croydon 3-2 in the Corinthian Shield final and round off their season with some silverware.
The north London boys were 3-0 up with five minutes remaining but, although fatigue set in and they conceded twice, Croydon were unable to find an equaliser.
“It’s the last time this group will play together regularly, so what a fitting way to finish our season and our four years together,” said I&C manager Jim de Garis.
Islington & Camden controlled the opening stages of the final, played at Herongate Athletic FC, Brentwood, and went ahead on 15 minutes when Zak Miles supplied a cross from the left that Joe White tucked away.
White turned provider for the second goal 10 minutes later, playing a ball through for Sang Pierre Gomez, who moved inside the full-back and fired into the net.
You may also want to watch:
I&C made several substitutions at half-time and they increased their lead further when Croydon failed to clear Romeo Akinola’s corner and Dylan Bolister rifled home.
However, the south London side looked stronger in the final quarter of the game and made it 3-1 from a direct free-kick before narrowing the gap again soon afterwards to set up a tense finish.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
Islington & Camden: Paxi-Cato, Brown, Goather, Basakonda, Akinola, Yengonde (Central Foundation), Osborn, Kelly, Price (St Mary Magdalene), Chandler, Bolister, Loschner, Gomez (St Aloysius), White (Holloway), Miles, Samuel-Clarke, Achille (Acland Burghley).