Islington & Camden boys hold off Croydon in Corinthian Shield final
- Credit: Archant
Islington & Camden Under-15s survived a late scare to beat Croydon 3-2 in the Corinthian Shield final and round off their season with some silverware.
The north London boys were 3-0 up with five minutes remaining but, although fatigue set in and they conceded twice, Croydon were unable to find an equaliser.
“It’s the last time this group will play together regularly, so what a fitting way to finish our season and our four years together,” said I&C manager Jim de Garis.
Islington & Camden controlled the opening stages of the final, played at Herongate Athletic FC, Brentwood, and went ahead on 15 minutes when Zak Miles supplied a cross from the left that Joe White tucked away.
White turned provider for the second goal 10 minutes later, playing a ball through for Sang Pierre Gomez, who moved inside the full-back and fired into the net.
You may also want to watch:
I&C made several substitutions at half-time and they increased their lead further when Croydon failed to clear Romeo Akinola’s corner and Dylan Bolister rifled home.
However, the south London side looked stronger in the final quarter of the game and made it 3-1 from a direct free-kick before narrowing the gap again soon afterwards to set up a tense finish.
- 1 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 6 Designated Covid care setting celebrates intervention on insurance issues
- 7 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 8 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 9 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 10 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
Islington & Camden: Paxi-Cato, Brown, Goather, Basakonda, Akinola, Yengonde (Central Foundation), Osborn, Kelly, Price (St Mary Magdalene), Chandler, Bolister, Loschner, Gomez (St Aloysius), White (Holloway), Miles, Samuel-Clarke, Achille (Acland Burghley).