Islington & Camden boys hold off Croydon in Corinthian Shield final
- Credit: Archant
Islington & Camden Under-15s survived a late scare to beat Croydon 3-2 in the Corinthian Shield final and round off their season with some silverware.
The north London boys were 3-0 up with five minutes remaining but, although fatigue set in and they conceded twice, Croydon were unable to find an equaliser.
“It’s the last time this group will play together regularly, so what a fitting way to finish our season and our four years together,” said I&C manager Jim de Garis.
Islington & Camden controlled the opening stages of the final, played at Herongate Athletic FC, Brentwood, and went ahead on 15 minutes when Zak Miles supplied a cross from the left that Joe White tucked away.
White turned provider for the second goal 10 minutes later, playing a ball through for Sang Pierre Gomez, who moved inside the full-back and fired into the net.
You may also want to watch:
I&C made several substitutions at half-time and they increased their lead further when Croydon failed to clear Romeo Akinola’s corner and Dylan Bolister rifled home.
However, the south London side looked stronger in the final quarter of the game and made it 3-1 from a direct free-kick before narrowing the gap again soon afterwards to set up a tense finish.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
Islington & Camden: Paxi-Cato, Brown, Goather, Basakonda, Akinola, Yengonde (Central Foundation), Osborn, Kelly, Price (St Mary Magdalene), Chandler, Bolister, Loschner, Gomez (St Aloysius), White (Holloway), Miles, Samuel-Clarke, Achille (Acland Burghley).