Islington & Camden District team looking to build on Compton Cup success
- Credit: Archant
Marc Stocking challenges youngster to cut out silly mistakes, but overall pleased with his side
Islington & Camden District team coach Marc Stocking hopes his side can build on an impressive 7-3 Compton Cup win at Hounslow.
Billy Osborn was the star of the show as his hat-trick helped inspire them to an excellent victory in their opening game of the term.
The Central Foundation schoolboy was joined in the goalscoring act by Holloway’s Djidji Rodrigues, debutant Mergim Krasniqi, of Haverstock School, before a late double came from Highbury Grove’s ace Sidney Shirley.
“I thought the boys did really well,” said Stocking. “It was the first game and it took us a little while to get going, but once we did the football we played was excellent.
You may also want to watch:
“If we can cut out the silly mistakes at the back then I think we will have a great season.”
They didn’t have it all their own way though as they fell behind following a mix-up.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
Hounslow’s lead did not last long though as they were back on level terms only a minute later thanks to Osborn’s opener after he won the ball back and beat two defenders before calmly slotting home.
Osborn doubled his and the visitors’ tally when Acland Burghley’s Coleman Miles found Osborn who beat the goalkeeper once more.
Hounslow restored parity again though going into the break as they slotted home a penalty just before half time.
But Islington & Camden came out all guns blazing in the second period and Rodrigues put them in front when producing a solid finish from just inside the box.
Mergim Krasniqi ensured he had a debut goal to celebrate to increase their lead when smashing home from close range.
Hounslow did peg them back once more, however, from the penalty spot to set up a nervy finale.
Yet Osborn completed his hat-trick to restore their two-goal cushion, before Shirley rounded the game off in style with two great finishes in the last 10 minutes to ensure Islington & Camden got their Compton Cup campaign off to a flying start.
Team: Hales, Lambert, Osborn, Shields Central Foundation), Bull, Djilli, Robinson, Shirley, (Highbury Grove) Rodrigues (Holloway) Miles, Ulloa, Williams-Lauder (Acland Burghley) Krasniqi (Haverstock) Elvis (Aloysius).