Islington & Camden District team looking to build on Compton Cup success
- Credit: Archant
Marc Stocking challenges youngster to cut out silly mistakes, but overall pleased with his side
Islington & Camden District team coach Marc Stocking hopes his side can build on an impressive 7-3 Compton Cup win at Hounslow.
Billy Osborn was the star of the show as his hat-trick helped inspire them to an excellent victory in their opening game of the term.
The Central Foundation schoolboy was joined in the goalscoring act by Holloway’s Djidji Rodrigues, debutant Mergim Krasniqi, of Haverstock School, before a late double came from Highbury Grove’s ace Sidney Shirley.
“I thought the boys did really well,” said Stocking. “It was the first game and it took us a little while to get going, but once we did the football we played was excellent.
You may also want to watch:
“If we can cut out the silly mistakes at the back then I think we will have a great season.”
They didn’t have it all their own way though as they fell behind following a mix-up.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
Hounslow’s lead did not last long though as they were back on level terms only a minute later thanks to Osborn’s opener after he won the ball back and beat two defenders before calmly slotting home.
Osborn doubled his and the visitors’ tally when Acland Burghley’s Coleman Miles found Osborn who beat the goalkeeper once more.
Hounslow restored parity again though going into the break as they slotted home a penalty just before half time.
But Islington & Camden came out all guns blazing in the second period and Rodrigues put them in front when producing a solid finish from just inside the box.
Mergim Krasniqi ensured he had a debut goal to celebrate to increase their lead when smashing home from close range.
Hounslow did peg them back once more, however, from the penalty spot to set up a nervy finale.
Yet Osborn completed his hat-trick to restore their two-goal cushion, before Shirley rounded the game off in style with two great finishes in the last 10 minutes to ensure Islington & Camden got their Compton Cup campaign off to a flying start.
Team: Hales, Lambert, Osborn, Shields Central Foundation), Bull, Djilli, Robinson, Shirley, (Highbury Grove) Rodrigues (Holloway) Miles, Ulloa, Williams-Lauder (Acland Burghley) Krasniqi (Haverstock) Elvis (Aloysius).