Islington & Camden hit double figures against West London to reach cup final
- Credit: Archant
Islington & Camden Under-15s have the opportunity to finish their district football careers in style after demolishing West London 10-1 to reach the Corinthian Shield final.
The north London team were always on top in Saturday’s semi-final as they reached double figures, with Holloway School’s Joe White hitting a first-half hat-trick.
That means they will contest the final in May, with opponents and venue yet to be determined, in what is likely to be the youngsters’ last match as district footballers.
“It’ll be lovely for the boys to remember playing in a cup final in their last season,” said I&C team manager Jim de Garis.
“It’s such a prestigious trophy and it represents the pinnacle of Under-15 football in and around London.”
You may also want to watch:
Islington & Camden had hammered Brent 6-1 in the previous round and they were even more dominant against West London, with Zak Miles setting up White to open the scoring after five minutes.
George Osborn made it 2-0 with a sweet right-foot strike from the edge of the penalty area before Sang Pierre Gomez crossed for White to net his second of the game.
- 1 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
White completed his treble by converting another cross from Miles – who then rifled a left-foot drive into the net to give Islington & Camden a 5-0 lead at half-time.
After the break, skipper Dylan Bolister headed in a Miles corner and I&C promptly made a triple substitution – not that it upset their rhythm to any degree as Gomez claimed a quickfire double.
One of the new arrivals, Darnell Goather, scored their ninth – but West London grabbed a consolation goal on the counter-attack before Jendrick Loschner completed the rout with number 10.
Tyler Ming’s double helped Islington & Camden Under-13s to their first win of the year as they triumphed 3-1 at Hillingdon in the Compton Cup.
The I&C boys had been on the wrong end of a 4-0 defeat by Hillingdon earlier in the season – and they fell behind again when a ball over the top caught their defence out on 10 minutes.
However, Ming equalised by stabbing home a cross from Franklyn Domi and I&C took control, with centre-back Matthew Kanjeyo firing into the top corner at the second attempt to put them 2-1 up.
Hillingdon applied pressure in the second half, but the visitors withstood all that came their way, with Jonty Purdom performing particularly well in goal.
And Ming sealed victory with his second goal of the game in the last minute, finishing off a mazy counter-attacking run with a shot that trickled over the line.