Islington Cycling Club aim to keep growing with new junior section
- Credit: Archant
Islington Cycling Club plan to celebrate their third birthday and continue their expansion by establishing a junior section later this year.
The club launched three years ago today (Thursday) with just seven cyclists – but has grown rapidly to become the borough’s largest sports club with more than 500 members.
There are now nine weekly social and training rides, men’s and women’s racing teams and four open events – 100km audax, 200km audax, 10-mile time trial and road race – each year.
Now Islington want to run specific sessions for eight to 16-year-olds, with off-road training and development of racing skills supervised by British Cycling accredited coaches.
Club secretary David Shannon explained: “Creating a pathway for young people in central London to take part in our exciting sport is long overdue.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re aiming to create an inclusive programme that supports riders who want to compete to a high level, as well as those riders who simply want to have fun learning.”
The club are seeking sponsorship from local businesses, with a view to starting the junior section in the autumn, and anyone interested should contact David at email@example.com
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
Islington are also holding ‘The Italian Job’ on June 12 – a 100km ride which starts and finishes at Finsbury Park and is open to members and non-members alike, with a cost of just £7 per cyclist.
For an entry form, or to find out more information about the club’s other rides and events, visit islington.cc