Islington fencing club attracts record numbers to summer training camp
- Credit: Archant
Islington-based Fighting Fit Fencing Club launched the new season with their biggest ever summer training camp, held at Mount Carmel Catholic College for Girls.
The training camp, which was officially recommended by the British Fencing Association, attracted more than 60 people, including homegrown talents such as British cadet champion Dominic de Almeida and many of the best young foil fencers from around the country.
Athletes from other European countries, including France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, the Netherlands and Hungary, also made the trip to Islington.
Fighting Fit owners Sandra and Jed Beardmore, who established the club at a Tufnell Park pub in 2005, told the Gazette: “We never dreamed we would be producing world-class fencers in just over 10 years.
“Our club’s fantastic youngsters have inspired us to organise a camp like this. It was amazing to think there were at least five or six at our own camp this summer that we will be watching fence at the next Olympics in Tokyo.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope that the camp will help some of our own fencers join them on the plane to Japan in 2020!”
The club is open to all ages and offers a free taster session to anyone who would like to try fencing.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
Just text the words “Gazette Fencing” to 07832 241 215, or you can visit www.fightingfitfencing.com for booking details.