Islington fighter earns victory over Danish international
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Hazel Gale warmed up for the women’s ABA quarter-finals with an impressive away success against Danish international Camilla Skov Jensen.
Gale had to travel to her opponent’s home town of Aarhus for the Fredricksson Athletic Klub show, but she did enough to impress the judges as she scored a 2-1 victory.
Although the Islington boxer scored immediately with a straight left lead, it was Jensen who produced the better work-rate in the first two rounds.
Gale responded well in the third, scoring well with her jab, and she finished the contest strongly with eye-catching hooks to the body and a couple of uppercuts to take the verdict.
Islington’s Darren Ward held off Tyler Bentley (Aylesbury) to win a majority decision on a Hoddesdon show.
You may also want to watch:
Ward landed the cleaner shots in the opening round and gradually settled down, boxing effectively behind his jab as Bentley’s late fightback was not enough to swing the decision.
Ward’s younger brother Christopher boxed in an Islington vest for the first time on the same show and impressed in his skills contest against Kurt Lee (Hoddesdon Boxing Academy).
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant