Islington fighter earns victory over Danish international
- Credit: Archant
Islington BC’s Hazel Gale warmed up for the women’s ABA quarter-finals with an impressive away success against Danish international Camilla Skov Jensen.
Gale had to travel to her opponent’s home town of Aarhus for the Fredricksson Athletic Klub show, but she did enough to impress the judges as she scored a 2-1 victory.
Although the Islington boxer scored immediately with a straight left lead, it was Jensen who produced the better work-rate in the first two rounds.
Gale responded well in the third, scoring well with her jab, and she finished the contest strongly with eye-catching hooks to the body and a couple of uppercuts to take the verdict.
Islington’s Darren Ward held off Tyler Bentley (Aylesbury) to win a majority decision on a Hoddesdon show.
You may also want to watch:
Ward landed the cleaner shots in the opening round and gradually settled down, boxing effectively behind his jab as Bentley’s late fightback was not enough to swing the decision.
Ward’s younger brother Christopher boxed in an Islington vest for the first time on the same show and impressed in his skills contest against Kurt Lee (Hoddesdon Boxing Academy).
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE