Islington fighter to defend title against Australian opponent
- Credit: Chris Royle/TGSPHOTO
Islington middleweight John Ryder will face experienced Australian Les Sherrington in his first defence of the WBO inter-continental title at the end of this month.
The former Angel ABC amateur, who defeated Theophilus Tetteh to win the belt in October, takes on Sherrington at the O2 Arena on Saturday January 31.
“Sherrington is a great fight for me to start the year with a bang,” said Ryder, who has won 19 of his 20 professional contests to date.
“He has bags of experience and has a good record of KO wins so I will need to be at my best, but I have been working hard over Christmas and am in great shape, so I am looking forward to shining on January 31.”
Sherrington, a 32-year-old Queenslander, has only fought outside his homeland once before, but brings a record of 35 wins and seven losses to London.
You may also want to watch:
He has held domestic and regional titles and has suffered just one defeat in his last nine fights, against former IBF world champion Sam Soliman.
The Matchroom Promotions show is headed by unbeaten heavyweight star and ex-Olympic gold medallist Anthony Joshua, who faces Kevin ‘Kingpin’ Johnson.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 3 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 4 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 5 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 6 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 7 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 8 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
The undercard also features former Commonwealth super-featherweight champion Kevin Mitchell, now fighting at lightweight, as well as light-welterweight clashes between Tommy Martin and Ricky Boylan, and John Wayne Hibbert and Tyler Goodjohn.
Tickets, priced at £40, are available at www.theO2.co.uk and on 0844 856 0202.