Islington five-a-side team qualify for national finals
- Credit: Archant
Islington-based Access to Sports will play at the national football centre, St George’s Park, after triumphing in the regional StreetGames Football Pools Fives tournament.
Access to Sports beat off competition from several rivals around London and the south east to win the men’s five-a-side event at Westway Sports Centre and qualify for the national finals.
Former England captain Stuart Pearce helped to coach the team from Hornsey Road, who will face 11 other regional winners in September’s finals at St George’s Park, while Arsenal Ladies star Rachel Yankey coached the winning women’s side.
Access to Sports player Jeffrey Adubofour, 17, said: “It means everything to us – we came to win.
“St George’s Park was the reason we signed up in the first place because everyone wants to go there as a pro. It is the best tournament I have signed up for and I have signed up for quite a few.”
You may also want to watch:
The StreetGames programme is designed to reach some of the country’s least accessible communities and give young men and women opportunities in sport, including volunteering and coaching.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting