Islington five-a-side team qualify for national finals
- Credit: Archant
Islington-based Access to Sports will play at the national football centre, St George’s Park, after triumphing in the regional StreetGames Football Pools Fives tournament.
Access to Sports beat off competition from several rivals around London and the south east to win the men’s five-a-side event at Westway Sports Centre and qualify for the national finals.
Former England captain Stuart Pearce helped to coach the team from Hornsey Road, who will face 11 other regional winners in September’s finals at St George’s Park, while Arsenal Ladies star Rachel Yankey coached the winning women’s side.
Access to Sports player Jeffrey Adubofour, 17, said: “It means everything to us – we came to win.
“St George’s Park was the reason we signed up in the first place because everyone wants to go there as a pro. It is the best tournament I have signed up for and I have signed up for quite a few.”
You may also want to watch:
The StreetGames programme is designed to reach some of the country’s least accessible communities and give young men and women opportunities in sport, including volunteering and coaching.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers