Islington BC celebrate after five lift London titles at Development Championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club saw five of their members crowned London Development champions at the weekend.
Laura Weis beat West Ham’s Sarah Abdelmuttalb in their Class A, under-54kg contest via unanimous points to claim the first title of the day.
Weis kept calm when under pressure at the start of each round and moved freely, using her jab to keep her rival at bay.
Masood Abdullah avenged a Haringey Box Cup loss to West Ham’s Jawanay Scott in their Class B, under-60kg contest
After losing 3-2 in June, he won the first round on the front foot and gave Scott a standing eight count in the second, before a straight right knocked him down and the referee called a halt.
You may also want to watch:
Welterweight Slavisa Gegic (Class B, under-69kg) extended his unbeaten run to 19-0 with a unanimous decision against Julio Tuwizana (Double Jab ABC), forcing his rival on to the back foot and landing shots freely.
Gegic was originally meant to box on Saturday against Timon Asiama (Cuban BA) in a rematch from the finals of the Haringey Box Cup, which he won with a seocnd-round knockout, but Timon failed to make weight.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
Chris Cunningham (Class B, under-75kg) did not allow Dennis Dagliss (West Ham Boys’ ABC) any space to work or move in an entertaining middleweight clash as he claimed his second London Development title, having beaten Iduion Balde (Miguels ABC) on unanimous points a day earlier.
Islington’s Sunni Torgman (Class B, under-60kg) received a London title on a walkover after former Islington boxer Claudia Wilmott-Smith (Haringey ABC)withdrew at short notice.
Torgman will join Weis, Abdullah, Gegic, Cunningham, Charlotte Briant (Class B, under-75kg) and Lina Dhayatkar (Class A, under-51kg) in the national stages of the England Boxing Development Championships at Turners Boxing Academy in Camberley, Surrey.
Islington’s Azeem Bakare was back in the ring after 10 months to win a split decision against IQ Neasden’s Shane Williams in their London Development quarter-final in the Class A, under-75kg category.
But he lost 4-1 to Jordan Dujon (West Ham Boys’ Club) in the semi-finals, as Ekene Ikedife (Class A, under-86kg) was beaten by Machindo Mwambazi (Double Jab ABC) on unanimous points.
Atila Rezvan (Class A, under-54kg) lost a unanimous decision in his semi-final to Saki Hussein (Dale Youth ABC), as Kevin Agbodzah (under-69kg) lost 3-2 to Kwame Boateng (Afewee ABC).