Islington hammer Tower Hamlets to secure top spot
- Credit: Archant
Mesdar Woldesus netted twice as a second-half blitz sealed top spot in the group for Islington Under-11s with a 7-3 victory against Tower Hamlets.
Billy Osborn opened the scoring with a superb free-kick after just three minutes, but Tower Hamlets levelled before an own goal restored Islington’s lead.
Another Tower Hamlets free-kick made it 2-2 at half-time and the contest remained in the balance after the break, but an individual strike by Woldesus put Islington ahead again.
Picking the ball up in his own half, Woldesus raced past three defenders before slotting into the corner – and Freddy Lambert added a fourth with a powerful header from Osborn’s corner.
Although Tower Hamlets reduced the deficit soon afterwards, Woldesus grabbed his second of the game to make it 5-3 and Charlie McCarthy then netted his first goal for the district.
You may also want to watch:
A neat finish from Sammy Djilli rounded off the scoring and Islington coach Marc Stocking was delighted with his team’s overall performance in the tie.
He said: “Defensively we need to be stronger but we showed we have goals in our team. I thought the boys did well in windy conditions and when possible they got the ball down and tried to play.”
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
Islington: Treganna, Hannes, Bull, Lambert, Shirley, Djilli, Abbott, Osborn, Robinson, McCarthy, Woldesus, Nolan, Shields.