Islington hammer Tower Hamlets to secure top spot
- Credit: Archant
Mesdar Woldesus netted twice as a second-half blitz sealed top spot in the group for Islington Under-11s with a 7-3 victory against Tower Hamlets.
Billy Osborn opened the scoring with a superb free-kick after just three minutes, but Tower Hamlets levelled before an own goal restored Islington’s lead.
Another Tower Hamlets free-kick made it 2-2 at half-time and the contest remained in the balance after the break, but an individual strike by Woldesus put Islington ahead again.
Picking the ball up in his own half, Woldesus raced past three defenders before slotting into the corner – and Freddy Lambert added a fourth with a powerful header from Osborn’s corner.
Although Tower Hamlets reduced the deficit soon afterwards, Woldesus grabbed his second of the game to make it 5-3 and Charlie McCarthy then netted his first goal for the district.
You may also want to watch:
A neat finish from Sammy Djilli rounded off the scoring and Islington coach Marc Stocking was delighted with his team’s overall performance in the tie.
He said: “Defensively we need to be stronger but we showed we have goals in our team. I thought the boys did well in windy conditions and when possible they got the ball down and tried to play.”
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Countryside walking would be lovely - but the city has much to offer
- 3 Archway man jailed after causing 'totally avoidable' crash
- 4 High Court ruling 'will not directly impact' People Friendly Streets
- 5 Two 16-year-olds charged with murder of Islington student
- 6 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 7 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 8 Thousands back petition for exemptions in Highbury People Friendly Streets
- 9 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
- 10 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
Islington: Treganna, Hannes, Bull, Lambert, Shirley, Djilli, Abbott, Osborn, Robinson, McCarthy, Woldesus, Nolan, Shields.