Islington hammer Tower Hamlets to secure top spot
- Credit: Archant
Mesdar Woldesus netted twice as a second-half blitz sealed top spot in the group for Islington Under-11s with a 7-3 victory against Tower Hamlets.
Billy Osborn opened the scoring with a superb free-kick after just three minutes, but Tower Hamlets levelled before an own goal restored Islington’s lead.
Another Tower Hamlets free-kick made it 2-2 at half-time and the contest remained in the balance after the break, but an individual strike by Woldesus put Islington ahead again.
Picking the ball up in his own half, Woldesus raced past three defenders before slotting into the corner – and Freddy Lambert added a fourth with a powerful header from Osborn’s corner.
Although Tower Hamlets reduced the deficit soon afterwards, Woldesus grabbed his second of the game to make it 5-3 and Charlie McCarthy then netted his first goal for the district.
You may also want to watch:
A neat finish from Sammy Djilli rounded off the scoring and Islington coach Marc Stocking was delighted with his team’s overall performance in the tie.
He said: “Defensively we need to be stronger but we showed we have goals in our team. I thought the boys did well in windy conditions and when possible they got the ball down and tried to play.”
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Islington: Treganna, Hannes, Bull, Lambert, Shirley, Djilli, Abbott, Osborn, Robinson, McCarthy, Woldesus, Nolan, Shields.