Islington kickboxer aims to build on English Championships silver medal
- Credit: Archant
Veteran Islington kickboxer Syed Haider Mannan is seeking sponsorship to help him realise his dream of winning a world title later this year.
The 52-year-old black belt 7th dan collected a silver medal in the Over-85kg section (48 years and over) at last month’s English Championships in Manchester.
It was the third year running that Mannan had picked up a medal at the tournament – a particularly impressive achievement given that he has endured surgery on his leg four times, as well as heart problems.
Now he is aiming to scoop further honours at July’s European Championships – also in Manchester – and the World Championships, which take place in Portugal in October.
“They thought my knee was totally finished, but I am still determined to become a world champion,” he said. “To help me do that, I need someone to sponsor me.”
You may also want to watch:
Mannan is also planning to open a kickboxing club in north London in the future. Anyone interested in helping him out should email email@example.com
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 3 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 7 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 10 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run