Islington kickboxer aims to build on English Championships silver medal
- Credit: Archant
Veteran Islington kickboxer Syed Haider Mannan is seeking sponsorship to help him realise his dream of winning a world title later this year.
The 52-year-old black belt 7th dan collected a silver medal in the Over-85kg section (48 years and over) at last month’s English Championships in Manchester.
It was the third year running that Mannan had picked up a medal at the tournament – a particularly impressive achievement given that he has endured surgery on his leg four times, as well as heart problems.
Now he is aiming to scoop further honours at July’s European Championships – also in Manchester – and the World Championships, which take place in Portugal in October.
“They thought my knee was totally finished, but I am still determined to become a world champion,” he said. “To help me do that, I need someone to sponsor me.”
You may also want to watch:
Mannan is also planning to open a kickboxing club in north London in the future. Anyone interested in helping him out should email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 10 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey