Islington Midweek League title battle tightens up after Regent’s victory
- Credit: Archant
Regent’s FC manager Des Casey expects the Islington Midweek League title race to go to the wire after his side triumphed 4-3 in a see-saw clash against rivals Myddleton Arms.
Casey’s team, who are the defending champions, came from behind twice to clinch a priceless victory that pushed them closer to both Myddleton and front-runners Cricklewood Wanderers.
This year’s Premier Division title now looks like a three-horse race, with the same trio also in the last four of the Islington Gazette Cup alongside the winners of the quarter-final tie between K London United and Spartak, which takes place next week.
“I can only see it going all the way – it probably hinges on how the top three teams do against each other,” said Casey. “As we’ve found out, it’s harder to defend the title than to win it.
“Coming back to win was a satisfying night for us – it was the first game Myddleton have lost all season and we’re really pleased to stay in touch with them.”
You may also want to watch:
Regent’s trailed 1-0 at half-time, but they changed their formation in the second period and that paid dividends as Alfie Rogers netted the equaliser and a Jason Perdicou header made it 2-1.
However, Myddleton – who defeated Regent’s in last year’s Gazette Cup final – fought back to lead 3-2 before Rogers grabbed his second of the night and Jesse Ndjeka struck the winner with eight minutes remaining.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series