Islington pair hit gold standard at Haringey Box Cup
- Credit: Archant
Islington duo Jeffrey Ofori and Cherelle Brown both struck gold at the 2013 Haringey Box Cup.
Ofori triumphed in style, with a unanimous 5-0 verdict over southpaw Dominic Patrizi of Aintree giving him his seventh successive victory and his first Box Cup gold.
Meanwhile, unbeaten female Brown triumphed after a comprehensive win against Gardner Moore in the final.
There was also a silver for Sherif Musah, albeit in controversial circumstances when his final fight was stopped after he took a blow to the head.
It was a competition to remember for Ofori, who outclassed Damien Pagan in the Class A under-67kgs, with all five judges voting for the Islington man.
You may also want to watch:
In the final, Ofori trapped Patrizi in a corner and unloaded a four-punch combination. After a close second round, the last round was all Ofori, with his opponent taking two standing counts after a flurry of punches.
Brown was in control of her bout against Moore from the off, and two right hands saw Moore take the first of two standing counts.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 9 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 10 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
In the second, a left and right resulted in another standing count, and although Moore came back in the final round, the decision was never in doubt.
Musah had to settle for a controversial silver, having made the semi-final after beating Olakunie Alausa thanks to a unanimous 5-0 verdict from the judges.
Against Anthony Yarde in the semi, Musah was issued with a standing count after a right hand from his opponent. He then came back to hurt Yarde, but the bout was stopped after he took another right to the head.
Yarde’s subsequent move up to B Class for the final left Musah in with a shout for gold, but the referee stopped the contest when he took a blow to the head, leaving him with the silver.
Islington’s other Box Cup entrant, Ali Xani, lost to eventual gold medal-winner Louis Greene of Strood ABC in the Class A under-64kg.
Xani fell to pieces after an impressive start and barely made it to the first bell. After two standing counts, the bout was called off as Xani’s corner were getting ready to throw in the towel.
In the junior show, Islington’s Safi Abdullah beat his old foe Mohammed Osman of Haringey Police ABC on a unanimous decision.