Islington pair picked in Great Britain junior team for European Championships
- Credit: Archant
Two teenagers from Fighting Fit Fencing Club have been selected for the Great Britain foil team at the European Under-17 Championships next month.
Bella Dmochowska, 16, and 13-year-old Yasmin Campel will fill two of the four places in the GB squad for the tournament, which takes place in Israel from February 22 to March 4.
It is the first time the Islington club have ever had two of their members chosen together for a national team and underlines their recent surge of success.
Last year Fighting Fit were the top-scoring youth foil club in the UK, based on the total number of medals they amassed at English and British national championships.
Head coach Ludo Sotto said: “Yas and Bella have done so well – they are extremely hard-working and dedicated. They deserve to be representing their country.
You may also want to watch:
“While we have a fantastic coaching team and an incredibly professional programme at the club, we must remember it is the fencers that actually have go out and win the fights when they compete.”
Both Campel – who has previously represented England, but not GB – and Dmochowska have turned in a series of impressive performances in recent domestic and overseas tournaments.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
The girls train four nights a week at the Caledonian Road club, which is open to children and adults of all ages.
Anyone who would like to try fencing should call 020 8368 7834 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a free taster session at the club.