Islington pair picked in Great Britain junior team for European Championships
- Credit: Archant
Two teenagers from Fighting Fit Fencing Club have been selected for the Great Britain foil team at the European Under-17 Championships next month.
Bella Dmochowska, 16, and 13-year-old Yasmin Campel will fill two of the four places in the GB squad for the tournament, which takes place in Israel from February 22 to March 4.
It is the first time the Islington club have ever had two of their members chosen together for a national team and underlines their recent surge of success.
Last year Fighting Fit were the top-scoring youth foil club in the UK, based on the total number of medals they amassed at English and British national championships.
Head coach Ludo Sotto said: “Yas and Bella have done so well – they are extremely hard-working and dedicated. They deserve to be representing their country.
You may also want to watch:
“While we have a fantastic coaching team and an incredibly professional programme at the club, we must remember it is the fencers that actually have go out and win the fights when they compete.”
Both Campel – who has previously represented England, but not GB – and Dmochowska have turned in a series of impressive performances in recent domestic and overseas tournaments.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 4 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 5 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 7 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 8 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 9 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 10 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
The girls train four nights a week at the Caledonian Road club, which is open to children and adults of all ages.
Anyone who would like to try fencing should call 020 8368 7834 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a free taster session at the club.