Islington Panthers roar into second round of play-offs
- Credit: Archant
Islington Panthers U18s successful season continued as they reached the second round of the U18 play-offs.
The team, who have already won the South One U18 Conference League, defeated Bristol Academy Flyers 97-56 at St Aloysius College in round one.
Panthers lost just once on the road to the play-offs in 20 games and started this game off in fine style.
After the early exchanges where the teams were evenly matched, the cohesion of the Panthers was in evidence and by the end of the first quarter they had established a 28-16 lead.
Chiem Eluwa and Jason Prince were to the fore in the quarter, with Eluwa going on to score 26 points in the game.
You may also want to watch:
Georg Davis began to dominate the court for the Panthers who turned it up even further with a 29-9 second quarter for a 57-25 lead.
The third quarter continued in similar fashion and despite a late surge of pressure from the Bristol bench, the damage had been done.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 6 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 9 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 10 Heartbreak for Team GB as Australia end Olympic dream
The Panthers now go to Premier League team London United, who are based at the Alec Reed Academy in Northolt, in round two this weekend.
Coach Will Akuffo said: “I am pleased with the way the boys performed. They worked hard as they have done all season and we look forward to taking on London United next weekend.”