Islington Panthers to face Haringey rivals in play-off final clash
- Credit: Archant
Islington Panthers face a derby clash in the Community Basketball League play-off final this weekend after edging out Brent Ballers in a gripping encounter.
The Panthers, who squeezed past the Brent side 49-45 in their semi-final at Crystal Palace, will be up against Haringey Hawks in the final, which takes place at the Copper Box Arena on Sunday.
Chiem Eluwa produced an excellent attacking display against the Ballers, helping to ensure his side held a razor-thin 21-20 lead going into the half.
Both teams raised the tempo during the final quarter, with a back-to-back series of players hitting threes, but the Panthers held on to clinch a place in the final.
Eluwa, who was named as his side’s MVP, said: “Winning the semi-finals feels like a great reward for all our hard work. Haringey Hawks are good competition but, after beating them twice in the regular season, we’re confident we can beat them again.”
You may also want to watch:
For further information about the league, which is run by the London School of Basketball in partnership with Reach and Teach, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London