Islington preparing for final dinner show of season
- Credit: Archant
Club to stage evening of action at Royal National Hotel
Islington Boxing Club will host their fifth and final home show of the season on Friday May 12, with a bi-annual dinner at the Royal National Hotel in Russell Square.
And hoping to make his return after four years away from the ring due to work commitments is Carlos Moreno, who has been expanding his Moreno Boxing outfit in Dalston.
Moreno is a former London Novices champion, Haringey Box Cup gold medalist and London Elite finalist with the Hazellville Road club and won a Portuguese Elite title at lightweight in 2014.
Now 28 years of age, Moreno is set to move to light-welterweight (under-64kg) and is set to be joined on the card by Scott Smart, Jerome Campbell, Demi Carter, Amy Andrew, Inder Bassi, Borys Feldman, Slavisa Gegic, Connor Daly, Chris Onwegbusi, Aaron Nicely and Matesurz Szcepkowski.
You may also want to watch:
The show will also include the debuts of Jenson Curtin, Shaun Thomas and Jay-Jay Curtin in Islington vests.
The trio are moving to England from Australia, having all previously represented Collingwood Boxing Club and had great success Down Under, which they hope to replicate at Islington.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 7 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 8 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 9 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 10 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
Jenson Curtin, 13, and Jay-Jay Curtin, 16, are the sons of former St Pancras ABC fighter Steve and were Golden Gloves champions last year and have also won Victoria state titles.
Thomas, 19, is another Golden Gloves and Victoria Youth champion who has Australia representative honours against the British Royal Navy last year.
The Curtin brothers have been entereed into the Hull Box Cup (June 9-11) with Connor Daly and Kerem Sertten, with Tyler Mutch (under-38.5kg) and Sertten (under-37kg) set to compete in the Schools’ Championships at the end of the month.
*Standing tickets for Islington’s May 12 show are available for £20 and a dinner ticket, including three-course meal and a bottle of wine, are £70.
Tables of 10 are available, as well as advertising space for businesses or good luck messages in the A4 programme at £50 (1/4 page), £100 (1/2 page) and £200 (full page).
Call Mick Doherty on 07921 724601 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.