School Sport: Islington pupils pipped in final
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s primary schools district squad were edged out of the Inner London final of the English Schools’ FA seven-a-side competition on Saturday.
Dante Tuitt impressed in a 2-0 loss to two-time winners Lewisham in their first group game, before Islington beat neighbours Camden.
Tristan Hamman-Chanes set up Samuel Dempfle Rodriguez for the first goal, only for Camden to level.
Dempfle Rodriguez put Islington 2-1 up and Shevin Tchouya added a third just before half time.
Camden claimed a second after the restart, but Jaden Anderson made a couple of brave blocks to help protect Islington's lead and a 1-1 draw with Wandsworth, after another Dempfle Rodriguez goal, sent them through.
You may also want to watch:
A first-minute goal from Dempfle Rodriguez put them on top against South London before Anderson, Hamann-Chanes and Aiden Morgan combined to set him up for a superb second.
Cy Solomons added a third from long range before half-time and Dempfle Rodriguez completed his hat-trick in the second half after Amar Imansouren hit a post.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
Joseph Ludlow also struck before South London got a late consolation to set up a rematch in the final with Lewisham.
Both goalkeepers made good saves in a scoreless first half, before Lewisham claimed the only goal of the game with an excellent long-range strike.
"We played some very good football and lost to an excellent goal from a very good Lewisham team," said Michael MacNeill, football development manager at the Islington Football Partnership.
"There were some really good goals scored, with some excellent finishing but also some really promising bits of build-up play and Jaden made some excellent saves at crucial points in various games.
"This was a superb performance and although disappointing to lose in the final, to get that far and score so many goals was a real bonus."
Islington: Anderson, Tuitt, Solomons, Ludlow, Hamann-Chanes, Imansouren, Morgan, Tchouya, Dempfle Rodriguez.