Islington school secure national boys’ table tennis title
- Credit: Archant
An Islington school are celebrating their first ever national title after their boys’ Under-11 team triumphed at the English Schools’ Table Tennis Association Championships.
The team of five from St Mary Magdalene Academy made amends for their defeat by last year’s winners Victoria Dock, from Hull, as they gained their revenge with a 6-2 victory in the finals.
The St Mary Magdalene youngsters – Alfie Little, Kai Ghazi-Timms, Kotaro Yamaguchi-Lam, Zack Genia-Hajithemistou and Dylan Low – also defeated Bramley Sunnyside 5-3 and Fox Primary 6-2 en route to the title.
They have been training twice a week for the past 18 months under the guidance of coaches Bhavin Savjani and Tyla Anderson – and also travel to Edgware on Thursday evenings for further practice at London Table Tennis Academy.
After becoming London champions, the St Mary Magdalene boys then won the regional finals in Bournemouth to qualify for the national tournament, which took place in Hinckley, Leics.
You may also want to watch:
Head of primary Joy Parke said: “We congratulate the boys on this significant achievement and would like to thank all the other people who have been directly involved in helping them.
“We are, as ever, encouraging all of the children to value and celebrate their own achievements and to continue to show positive determination, effort and fairness in order to achieve all that is possible.”
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington