Islington school secure national boys’ table tennis title
- Credit: Archant
An Islington school are celebrating their first ever national title after their boys’ Under-11 team triumphed at the English Schools’ Table Tennis Association Championships.
The team of five from St Mary Magdalene Academy made amends for their defeat by last year’s winners Victoria Dock, from Hull, as they gained their revenge with a 6-2 victory in the finals.
The St Mary Magdalene youngsters – Alfie Little, Kai Ghazi-Timms, Kotaro Yamaguchi-Lam, Zack Genia-Hajithemistou and Dylan Low – also defeated Bramley Sunnyside 5-3 and Fox Primary 6-2 en route to the title.
They have been training twice a week for the past 18 months under the guidance of coaches Bhavin Savjani and Tyla Anderson – and also travel to Edgware on Thursday evenings for further practice at London Table Tennis Academy.
After becoming London champions, the St Mary Magdalene boys then won the regional finals in Bournemouth to qualify for the national tournament, which took place in Hinckley, Leics.
You may also want to watch:
Head of primary Joy Parke said: “We congratulate the boys on this significant achievement and would like to thank all the other people who have been directly involved in helping them.
“We are, as ever, encouraging all of the children to value and celebrate their own achievements and to continue to show positive determination, effort and fairness in order to achieve all that is possible.”
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 8 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 9 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 10 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator