Islington school win national five-a-side championship at Derby
- Credit: Archant
St Aloysius’ RC College’s Year 7 team were crowned English Schools five-a-side champions after beating Sandwell Academy 4-2 at Derby County’s iPro Stadium.
The Islington school won all three of their group matches to finish top of the table, seeing off St Birinius, Oxford, 5-2, Priory City of Lincoln Academy, 6-1 and Broughton High School, Preston 5-0.
A tight semi-final followed against Queens Schools, Watford, but the St Aloysius boys did enough to edge the game 2-1 and book their place in the final.
Sandwell took the lead almost immediately, but the Londoners fought back and captain Samuel Iling Ngwan scored twice to give his side a 2-1 advantage at the break.
However, the Birmingham school equalised soon after the restart and it needed a good save by Aloysius goalkeeper Manuel Marques to ensure that the scores remained level.
You may also want to watch:
A decisive strike from Elijah Anthony put Aloysius back in front and Arron Keto then grabbed a fourth to seal his side’s success.
St Aloysius manager Tom Ratcliffe said: “I am delighted that the boys performed so well – being crowned national champions is a great achievement. They have been a credit to us all, as always.”
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting