Islington school win national five-a-side championship at Derby
- Credit: Archant
St Aloysius’ RC College’s Year 7 team were crowned English Schools five-a-side champions after beating Sandwell Academy 4-2 at Derby County’s iPro Stadium.
The Islington school won all three of their group matches to finish top of the table, seeing off St Birinius, Oxford, 5-2, Priory City of Lincoln Academy, 6-1 and Broughton High School, Preston 5-0.
A tight semi-final followed against Queens Schools, Watford, but the St Aloysius boys did enough to edge the game 2-1 and book their place in the final.
Sandwell took the lead almost immediately, but the Londoners fought back and captain Samuel Iling Ngwan scored twice to give his side a 2-1 advantage at the break.
However, the Birmingham school equalised soon after the restart and it needed a good save by Aloysius goalkeeper Manuel Marques to ensure that the scores remained level.
You may also want to watch:
A decisive strike from Elijah Anthony put Aloysius back in front and Arron Keto then grabbed a fourth to seal his side’s success.
St Aloysius manager Tom Ratcliffe said: “I am delighted that the boys performed so well – being crowned national champions is a great achievement. They have been a credit to us all, as always.”
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month