Islington side overcome Enfield Kings to reach final
- Credit: Archant
Alex Sappa started and finished the scoring as Activities4U took down Enfield Kings 59-41 to clinch a place in the Community Basketball League Under-25 play-off final.
Sappa got straight to work with a slam dunk for the Islington side, only for Lazaros Plepi to hit back for Enfield – and the pair then traded baskets to ensure a 10-10 tie at the end of the first quarter.
The second session belonged to A4U’s Juan Manning, who banked nine points, including a three that not only boosted his team’s confidence, but also stretched their lead to 33-16.
The Kings produced a spirited display in the third period, with Sylvester Ologbengsa scoring all nine of their points to keep them in the hunt, but A4U responded again and finished the game strongly.
With Manning still firing threes, Khalid Ibrahim found his rhythm to net eight points, while Edward Grant and Pedro Hounam added four apiece for the Islington side.
You may also want to watch:
Another slam dunk from Sappa rounded off the victory to ensure A4U’s appearance at the finals, which take place a week on Sunday and include players of all ages between 12 and 25.
Sappa said: “We’ve loved every moment playing in the CBL. Basketball is more than a sport as it has allowed us all to improve as players and individuals.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
“It’s a massive achievement to make the play-off finals, but we haven’t proved anything yet. We need to win and once we are crowned champions, then the celebrations can start!”
For more information about the league, visit www.cblhoops.co.uk, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.