Islington side overcome Enfield Kings to reach final
- Credit: Archant
Alex Sappa started and finished the scoring as Activities4U took down Enfield Kings 59-41 to clinch a place in the Community Basketball League Under-25 play-off final.
Sappa got straight to work with a slam dunk for the Islington side, only for Lazaros Plepi to hit back for Enfield – and the pair then traded baskets to ensure a 10-10 tie at the end of the first quarter.
The second session belonged to A4U’s Juan Manning, who banked nine points, including a three that not only boosted his team’s confidence, but also stretched their lead to 33-16.
The Kings produced a spirited display in the third period, with Sylvester Ologbengsa scoring all nine of their points to keep them in the hunt, but A4U responded again and finished the game strongly.
With Manning still firing threes, Khalid Ibrahim found his rhythm to net eight points, while Edward Grant and Pedro Hounam added four apiece for the Islington side.
You may also want to watch:
Another slam dunk from Sappa rounded off the victory to ensure A4U’s appearance at the finals, which take place a week on Sunday and include players of all ages between 12 and 25.
Sappa said: “We’ve loved every moment playing in the CBL. Basketball is more than a sport as it has allowed us all to improve as players and individuals.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 4 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 5 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 9 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 10 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
“It’s a massive achievement to make the play-off finals, but we haven’t proved anything yet. We need to win and once we are crowned champions, then the celebrations can start!”
For more information about the league, visit www.cblhoops.co.uk, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.