Islington sports awards: Tomique Gibson is sportswoman of the year
- Credit: Archant
Gymnast Tomique Gibson has been crowned Islington’s sportswoman of the year.
She received the honour at the recent Islington sports awards for young people at the Assembly Hall.
Basketball player Manie Jones, meanwhile, was named sportsman of the year.
Awards were presented by mayor of Islington Cllr Dave Poyser and Islington athlete Reuben Arthur, who won a 100m relay gold at this year’s Commonwealth Games.
Other winners were Finsbury Park’s African Development Trust (community sports organisation of the year), Sobell Badminton Club (club of the year), Karen Greene (volunteer of the year) and Raj Nath (coach of the year).
You may also want to watch:
In the secondary schools category, Skye Renee and Levi Liston won sportswomen and men of the year. St Aloysius’s Year 7 basketball team won male team of the year, with Elizabeth Garrett Anderson’s Year 7 netball team crowned female team of the year. Leah Lipsey-Swarbrick was also recognised in the sports leadership category.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 5 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 6 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 7 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 8 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 9 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 10 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket