Islington sports awards: Tomique Gibson is sportswoman of the year
- Credit: Archant
Gymnast Tomique Gibson has been crowned Islington’s sportswoman of the year.
She received the honour at the recent Islington sports awards for young people at the Assembly Hall.
Basketball player Manie Jones, meanwhile, was named sportsman of the year.
Awards were presented by mayor of Islington Cllr Dave Poyser and Islington athlete Reuben Arthur, who won a 100m relay gold at this year’s Commonwealth Games.
Other winners were Finsbury Park’s African Development Trust (community sports organisation of the year), Sobell Badminton Club (club of the year), Karen Greene (volunteer of the year) and Raj Nath (coach of the year).
You may also want to watch:
In the secondary schools category, Skye Renee and Levi Liston won sportswomen and men of the year. St Aloysius’s Year 7 basketball team won male team of the year, with Elizabeth Garrett Anderson’s Year 7 netball team crowned female team of the year. Leah Lipsey-Swarbrick was also recognised in the sports leadership category.
- 1 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 6 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 9 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing