Islington swimmer wins gold medal at London Championships
- Credit: Archant
Anaconda Swimming Club’s Elena Dewhurst has been crowned as the fastest 13-year-old girl in the London Regional Championships after winning the 50m freestyle gold medal.
Dewhurst’s time of 27.81 seconds – at a tournament open only to elite competitors in London and the south-east – secured victory and lifted her to third place in the national rankings.
She also reached the finals of the 50m butterfly and 100m freestyle, while there were further championship successes for members of the Cally Pool club.
Tommy Donovan, 15, collected a bronze medal in the 100m breaststroke with a personal best time of 1:12.43 and also narrowly missed a place on the podium in the 50m breaststroke, where he finished fourth.
Anaconda’s Alan Smeets maintained a fast pace in the men’s open 100m freestyle to take the silver medal (53.84), while 14-year-old Alice Hockey did well to reach the finals of both the 50m and 200m breaststroke.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach Wayne Lock said: “I’m thrilled for the medal winners, but it’s also great to see no fewer than 13 Anaconda swimmers qualifying for regionals this year – a tribute to their many hours of hard work.”
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Islington district suffer heavy defeat to Greenwich in Lester Finch Trophy
- 10 Arsenal Women player of the season award nominations