Islington swimmer wins gold medal at London Championships
- Credit: Archant
Anaconda Swimming Club’s Elena Dewhurst has been crowned as the fastest 13-year-old girl in the London Regional Championships after winning the 50m freestyle gold medal.
Dewhurst’s time of 27.81 seconds – at a tournament open only to elite competitors in London and the south-east – secured victory and lifted her to third place in the national rankings.
She also reached the finals of the 50m butterfly and 100m freestyle, while there were further championship successes for members of the Cally Pool club.
Tommy Donovan, 15, collected a bronze medal in the 100m breaststroke with a personal best time of 1:12.43 and also narrowly missed a place on the podium in the 50m breaststroke, where he finished fourth.
Anaconda’s Alan Smeets maintained a fast pace in the men’s open 100m freestyle to take the silver medal (53.84), while 14-year-old Alice Hockey did well to reach the finals of both the 50m and 200m breaststroke.
You may also want to watch:
Head coach Wayne Lock said: “I’m thrilled for the medal winners, but it’s also great to see no fewer than 13 Anaconda swimmers qualifying for regionals this year – a tribute to their many hours of hard work.”
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park