Islington team win 10 medals at national karate championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington’s Ken-Bu-Kan school scooped a total of 10 medals at the English national championships in Sheffield.
Brandon Wilkins and Romahn Flemmings got the ball rolling with a team gold medal in the male 12-13 years section, while Nikkisha Bailey edged out team-mate Danielle Kirby to claim her seventh successive national title in the female 15 years’ category.
There were also gold medals for siblings Michelle Little and Alex Little, while 10-year-old Jack Ward came through five rounds to reach the final of his section, but ran out of steam and had to settle for silver.
Ward and Charlie Coulson were also in action in the team categories, where they both won bronze medals, while Coulson picked up another bronze in the male 15 years individual section.
The youngest member of the squad, eight-year-old Nya Enver, won her first two rounds with ease before bowing out at the quarter-final stage.
You may also want to watch:
For more information about the Ken-Bu-Kan School, who hold training sessions at Highbury Grove School on Mondays and Wednesday from 6pm, contact coach Andy Michaelides.
You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, visit www.kbk-karate.co.uk or call 07956 165 826.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 3 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 7 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 8 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 9 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 10 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
Meanwhile, nine-year-old Luan Veras continued his excellent form by collecting a gold medal at the seventh Open Jeunes d’Orleans championships in France.
The youngster, who trains at the Veras Academy run by his father, Sensei Raphael, won the Under-40kg kumite category for eight to 10-year-olds at the championships in Le Mans.
Three other Veras Academy fighters also competed in the tournament – Luan’s younger brother Liam, Emre Oner and Andrew Mclarney – but were unable to get among the medals this time.
For more information about the academy, who hold training sessions at Ringcross Community Centre, Islington, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk