Islington teenager earns opportunity with junior England squad
- Credit: Archant
Islington teenager Kyle Carey has been selected for a junior England Basketball training camp after catching the eye with his performances this season.
The 17-year-old was a student at St Mary Magdalene Academy and represented the borough in regional competitions before moving north to join the elite basketball academy at Preston’s College, Lancs.
The academy combines academic programmes with top-level basketball training and Carey’s efforts for Team Preston this season have earned him a call-up to the New Horizons development squad.
He will join other promising youngsters from around the country at the England Basketball-run training camp, which takes place over Easter.
“I’m pleased that my performances have been recognised and it will be a great experience to train and play with the New Horizons squad,” said Carey.
You may also want to watch:
“Having played basketball for a number of years, I came up to join Team Preston because there seemed to be a really good programme starting up that could help me to develop.
“I’m getting experience of playing and picking up some good tips from an experienced coach, plus I’m getting a qualification that will help me if things don’t work out on the court.”
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing