Islington teenager wins chance to play at Wimbledon
- Credit: Archant
Islington starlet Brandon Drew will be aiming to succeed where Andy Murray failed this year after booking his spot at a prestigious Wimbledon tournament.
The 14-year-old, a member of Islington Tennis Centre, earned himself a trip to SW19 with victory in the HSBC Road to Wimbledon regional qualifier, held at West Worthing Tennis and Squash Club.
Drew, who defeated Andrew Watson 6-1 3-6 6-3 in the final qualifying round, will now play in the 14 & Under Challenge at the All England Club next month.
“I wasn’t really impressed with my performance but I’m happy I got through and get to play at Wimbledon,” said Drew.
“It was my first time playing in a tournament on grass and I was not handling the conditions well, but I finished on a high.
You may also want to watch:
“You don’t really get any even bounce so, if you can prevent it from bouncing by coming to the net, you should do so.
“The other players may not play national tournaments like me but that all goes out of the window when you play on grass.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 7 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 8 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
- 9 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
“I think if I just keep training up a few things and become a bit more consistent I can do well in the finals.
“I have been four times to watch the tennis at Wimbledon, so to go and play will hopefully be a stepping stone to playing there again.”
n The HSBC Road to Wimbledon National 14 & Under Challenge is the UK’s largest national junior grass court tournament and forms part of HSBC’s investment in the stars of the future.