Islington water polo team storm to gold medal at London Youth Games
- Credit: Archant
Islington youngsters sprang a surprise as they claimed an unexpected gold medal in the London Youth Games water polo mini competition at Crystal Palace.
The borough team, which included students from Hanover, Canonbury, St John’s Highbury Vale and Laycock schools, stormed through their group with some impressive displays, notably a 10-2 win over Greenwich.
Islington went into the semi-finals as underdogs against a strong Brent team, but they triumphed 8-6 and advanced to the final, overcoming Havering 6-3 to seal the gold medal.
Team manager Paul Subaran said: “The team is a mixture of footballers and swimmers – we tried to get a team of good throwers, good swimmers, people who understand the game tactically and it seemed to work.
“I thought they were going to do all right, but I didn’t expect to win. During the day, though, I saw how much they were putting into it. It means the world to them.”
You may also want to watch:
Water polo is one of 31 sports being featured in this year’s London Youth Games, which is the largest annual youth sports event in Europe.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 7 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'