Islington youngsters impress at inter-club sparring event as Dubois looks to rock Box!
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club took a group of 16 young fighters to a special inter-club sparring event at the Bulmershe Club in Reading on Sunday morning.
The team consisted of members of their infants and junior competitive squads, with some of them gaining valuable experience by boxing in front of an audience for the first time.
And Scott Smart, a coach of the infants section, was delighted with how they performed.
“All in all the youngsters performed well, many thanks to Sam Fleetwood from Bulmershe Boxing Club for the invite,” said Smart.
“I was impressed with how well many of them have improved in a short space of time and we’re hoping to take part in other inter-club sparring events soon.”
You may also want to watch:
The club will not have to wait long until their next outing, as Islington BC will have a team of infants and juniors taking part in sparring at Hoddesdon Boxing Academy this Sunday.
The Islington boxers that sparred last Sunday included Joseph Came, Jayden Hedges, Jamie Richards, Teddy Glenn, Maddox Pommells, Daragh Murray, Kaine Khan, Cassian Campbell, Cianan Campbell, O’Shea Campbell, Rishon John, Alfie Suksiri, Benjamin Wotton, Kadir Mehmut Cinko, Leon Flanagan and John Mongan.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Meanwhile, former Islington amateur Daniel Dubois will be looking for win number four when he returns to the ring at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday week (July 8).
Heavyweight Dubois, 19, started his amateur career at Dale Youth, before changing clubs to Islington and was crowned a junior ABA champion.
After losing just five of his 70 amateur fights, Dubois signed pro terms with Islington-born promoter Frank Warren and has won his first three fights in the paid ranks by way of impressive stoppages.
St Pancras BC’s Sherifeen Lawas won a silver medal at the Haringey Box Cup at Alexandra Palace recently.
Fighting in the Senior A 75kg category, Lawas defeated Ryan Kettle (Miguels ABC) in the semi-final with a unanimous decision.
But in the final he came up against Stonebridge BC’s Andrei Dascalu and, although the two boxers stood and traded punches throughout all three rounds, Lawas found himself on the wrong end of a split decision.