Islington youngsters impress at inter-club sparring event as Dubois looks to rock Box!
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club took a group of 16 young fighters to a special inter-club sparring event at the Bulmershe Club in Reading on Sunday morning.
The team consisted of members of their infants and junior competitive squads, with some of them gaining valuable experience by boxing in front of an audience for the first time.
And Scott Smart, a coach of the infants section, was delighted with how they performed.
“All in all the youngsters performed well, many thanks to Sam Fleetwood from Bulmershe Boxing Club for the invite,” said Smart.
“I was impressed with how well many of them have improved in a short space of time and we’re hoping to take part in other inter-club sparring events soon.”
You may also want to watch:
The club will not have to wait long until their next outing, as Islington BC will have a team of infants and juniors taking part in sparring at Hoddesdon Boxing Academy this Sunday.
The Islington boxers that sparred last Sunday included Joseph Came, Jayden Hedges, Jamie Richards, Teddy Glenn, Maddox Pommells, Daragh Murray, Kaine Khan, Cassian Campbell, Cianan Campbell, O’Shea Campbell, Rishon John, Alfie Suksiri, Benjamin Wotton, Kadir Mehmut Cinko, Leon Flanagan and John Mongan.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 9 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 10 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
Meanwhile, former Islington amateur Daniel Dubois will be looking for win number four when he returns to the ring at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday week (July 8).
Heavyweight Dubois, 19, started his amateur career at Dale Youth, before changing clubs to Islington and was crowned a junior ABA champion.
After losing just five of his 70 amateur fights, Dubois signed pro terms with Islington-born promoter Frank Warren and has won his first three fights in the paid ranks by way of impressive stoppages.
St Pancras BC’s Sherifeen Lawas won a silver medal at the Haringey Box Cup at Alexandra Palace recently.
Fighting in the Senior A 75kg category, Lawas defeated Ryan Kettle (Miguels ABC) in the semi-final with a unanimous decision.
But in the final he came up against Stonebridge BC’s Andrei Dascalu and, although the two boxers stood and traded punches throughout all three rounds, Lawas found himself on the wrong end of a split decision.