Islington youngsters row to medals at London Youth Games
- Credit: Archant
Islington had to settle for a silver medal in the London Youth Games coxed mixed doubles rowing event in London’s Docklands.
Helena Sergent, Laura Ellington and cox Maya Patterson, coached by Julian Sergent, narrowly missed out on the gold after an impressive display.
Rosa Millard and Luca Ferrero added bronze in the mixed doubles and their efforts helped the borough squad finish in 11th place overall at the end of the regatta.
Islington youngsters also performed well in the kayak slalom competitions, with Alannah Makoni finishing sixth in the junior female event after a final run of 77.5 seconds.
Dylan Gregory was fourth in the junior male race, with Maya Kember clocking 64.1 on her second run in the senior female event and Oliver Price finishing the senior male in 56.38.
You may also want to watch:
Both narrowly missed out on podium places, but team bosses were still pleased.
“It was pleasing to see Islington perform strongly in multiple team rowing events,” said Julian Sergent.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 6 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 7 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 10 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
“Sport is alive and well amongst Islington youth. My thanks go to Daniel Bank for supporting and organising this year’s entry.”