Islington youngsters row to medals at London Youth Games
- Credit: Archant
Islington had to settle for a silver medal in the London Youth Games coxed mixed doubles rowing event in London’s Docklands.
Helena Sergent, Laura Ellington and cox Maya Patterson, coached by Julian Sergent, narrowly missed out on the gold after an impressive display.
Rosa Millard and Luca Ferrero added bronze in the mixed doubles and their efforts helped the borough squad finish in 11th place overall at the end of the regatta.
Islington youngsters also performed well in the kayak slalom competitions, with Alannah Makoni finishing sixth in the junior female event after a final run of 77.5 seconds.
Dylan Gregory was fourth in the junior male race, with Maya Kember clocking 64.1 on her second run in the senior female event and Oliver Price finishing the senior male in 56.38.
You may also want to watch:
Both narrowly missed out on podium places, but team bosses were still pleased.
“It was pleasing to see Islington perform strongly in multiple team rowing events,” said Julian Sergent.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 6 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 8 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
“Sport is alive and well amongst Islington youth. My thanks go to Daniel Bank for supporting and organising this year’s entry.”