Islington youngsters star at inter-club sparring event, as members head for Germany
- Credit: Archant
Islington Boxing Club took a group of 17 youngsters to Hoddesdon Boxing Academy for ‘inter-club sparring’ on Sunday.
The team consisted of their Junior Competitive, Academy and Infant boxers from the ages of six to 15, with some of the Islington members taking part in inter-club sparring for the first time.
And competition secretary Reggie Hagland believes such outings are vital for the development of the young boxers, saying: “These events give the young boxers the opportunity to show off their skills in front of a small audience often consisting of their family members and friends against other clubs.
“Hoddesdon, Lion, Nemesis, Bulmershe, Northolt and Harlow also took part on Sunday. We like taking part in these events as often as we can, as it helps in getting rid of the initial nerves of stepping through the ropes, builds confidence and show what improvements has been made.
“We are hoping that by the time the boxers are ready or the age to compete they will be in good shape technically and mentally strong.”
You may also want to watch:
Islington boxers who took part included Maddox Pommells, Kaine Khan, Darragh Murray, Musa Rahman, Eesa Rahman, Matin Camara, Cianan Campbell, O’Shea Campbell, Teddie Glen, Jayden Hedges, Rishon John, Marty McDonagh, John McDonagh, Alfie Suksiri, Arlando Mrizaj, Jamie Richards and Roxanne Alexandra Fraser.
Hagland added: “They all gave a good account of themselves once again. Credit must go to both the boxers and coaches who gave up their time to be there.”
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
Islington plan on hosting their own ‘inter-club sparring’ event at their Hazellville Road base some time in September.
Club members will travel to Germany tomorrow (Friday) for a team match against BC Landau, having previously boxed against the Bavarians in April 2014.
Islington won 4-2 away from home and 5-3 at the Royal National Hotel and Hagland said: “This is a good opportunity for team bonding between coaches, officials and boxers on the trip in our last show this season.”
Connor Daly, Lamin Conteh, Matesurz Szcepowski, Mason Smith, Borys Feldman and Mo Gharib are joined by Islington debutant Anders Eggan, a junior and senior Norwegian champion, plus guests Ola Alausa and Jeamie Tshikeva.