Judo: Veras bags bronze at British Championships
- Credit: Archant
Brothers Luan and Liam Veras competed in the British Judo Championships at the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield on Sunday.
It was their last competition of the year, having also taken part in karate and Brazilian jiu-jitsu tournaments.
Over 500 aspiring judokas were bidding to be crowned British champion, with Luan Veras in the under-55kg cadets category.
Having been affected by chest infections and shoulder injuries in previous outings, he was made to pay for a mistake in his third fight against a Scottish rival.
That cost him a chance of gold, but he still came away with a bronze medal.
You may also want to watch:
Liam Veras took part in the pre-cadets under-38kg category for the first time, but unfortunately lost both of his contests in golden score by shido (penalties).
However, despite suffering some disappointments the young judokas will still have been able to take home some vital experience from the national event.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 9 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 10 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's