Just champion! Islington Admiral United claim first title in five years
- Credit: Archant
Islington Admiral United have clinched the Islington Midweek League Premier Division title after a 4-1 victory over Blacksmiths.
It is their first title since 2012 and needed a hard-fought effort to get them across the line.
They were kept at bay for the opening 20 minutes but as soon as Mariusz Serwin latched onto David Bryan’s pinpoint through ball for the first goal they relaxed.
The lead was doubled 15 minutes later after fine work by Altan Ceylan. His pass found Chris Bourne unmarked on the left wing, who cut inside and calmly shot past the keeper for the first his three goals.
Bourne made it three 10 minutes into the second half, latching on to Ricky Loucas’s pass to give Anthony Clark’s side an unassailable lead.
You may also want to watch:
Blacksmiths rallied on 70 minutes when Billy Kinsella pulled a goal back but Bourne had the final word in the 80th minute, firing a free-kick inside the near post.
Islington Admiral United: Hartles, Duffy, Rifat, Skinner, Hutchins, Ceylan, Bryan, Taylor-Forbes, Serwin, Loucas, Bourne, White, Ndjeka, Edwards, Gardner, O’Brien.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 'Holborn isn't the only dangerous junction for cyclists and pedestrians'