Kennedy clinches Islington Gazette Cup for Myddleton Arms

Aaron Kennedy (left), who scored the winning goal, and Myddleton Arms captain Daniel Laws

Aaron Kennedy (left), who scored the winning goal, and Myddleton Arms captain Daniel Laws - Credit: Archant

Aaron Kennedy grabbed a late winner as Myddleton Arms fought back to end Regent’s FC’s lengthy unbeaten record and triumph 3-2 in the Islington Gazette Cup final.

Myddleton – who won the trophy as Islington Boxing Club in 2012 – went ahead in the final at Market Road before Regent’s responded with a goal either side of half-time to lead 2-1.

At that point, the Islington Midweek League champions looked favourites to claim further silverware, but Myddleton levelled and then snatched the cup thanks to Kennedy’s goal eight minutes from time.

It was the first time Regent’s had experienced defeat in any competition all season – but they have an early opportunity for revenge when the sides meet again in the Premier Cup semi-final on Wednesday May 14 (kick-off 8pm).

“We’ve been close to beating Regent’s on two occasions and I knew we were more than good enough,” said Myddleton manager Dave Weemes. “We stuck with it and I thought we deserved it in the end.

You may also want to watch:

“You could have seen it going to penalties, but either side looked like they could score a winner and fortunately it was us.

“Our lads were excellent and we’re looking forward to playing Regent’s again. If we win, we could be on for another trophy this season.”

Most Read

Regent’s made the better start, but they were caught out after conceding a free-kick on the half-hour mark and Jamie Killingback’s 25-yarder sailed through everyone into the far corner.

But Myddleton were unable to close out the first half and Jason Perdicou converted a cross from the right to make it 1-1 just before the interval.

Seven minutes into the second period, another right-wing cross found Naim Essaghi unmarked at the far post and he headed home the second Regent’s goal.

However, Billy Kinsella scrambled in from close range to square the tie again on the hour and Kennedy’s left-foot finish crept over the line to seal Myddleton’s triumph.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter