Keto stays ahead in race for Islington Schools title
- Credit: Archant
David Keto strengthened his bid for the Years 9-10 Islington Schools Running League title after recording back-to-back victories around Emirates Stadium.
The 13-year-old from St Aloysius’ College, who also runs for London Heathside AC, remains top of the individual standings after winning the fourth race in a series of six.
Keto took seven minutes and three seconds to complete three laps around the Emirates – his third success so far in the league this season and 13 seconds faster than the previous one, also at the home of Arsenal Football Club.
The result also kept St Aloysius’ in front in the race for the schools’ title, with a one-point advantage over defending champions Stoke Newington, for whom Waiel Hassan (7:23) finished second at the Emirates.
Luca Minale, from Mossbourne Academy, Hackney, clinched his fourth straight win in the Years 7-8 boys’ race with a run of 7:28, holding off closest challenger Raheem Watt (7:48) of Central Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
In the Years 9-10 girls’ event, Loula Paizi (Clapton Girls Academy) matched Keto’s achievement by claiming her second win of the season at Emirates Stadium.
Felix Waters triumphed in the Years 7-8 girls’ race in a time of 7:59, with fellow Stoke Newington students Lily McKay (8:17) and Meg Naylor (8:28) completing a clean sweep of the top three places.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
The next league race will be run at Clissold Park in March, with Finsbury Park staging the climax to the series later that month.
Finsbury Park is also the venue for the Islington Schools’ cross-country championships, which take place on Wednesday January 15.