Keto stays ahead in race for Islington Schools title
- Credit: Archant
David Keto strengthened his bid for the Years 9-10 Islington Schools Running League title after recording back-to-back victories around Emirates Stadium.
The 13-year-old from St Aloysius’ College, who also runs for London Heathside AC, remains top of the individual standings after winning the fourth race in a series of six.
Keto took seven minutes and three seconds to complete three laps around the Emirates – his third success so far in the league this season and 13 seconds faster than the previous one, also at the home of Arsenal Football Club.
The result also kept St Aloysius’ in front in the race for the schools’ title, with a one-point advantage over defending champions Stoke Newington, for whom Waiel Hassan (7:23) finished second at the Emirates.
Luca Minale, from Mossbourne Academy, Hackney, clinched his fourth straight win in the Years 7-8 boys’ race with a run of 7:28, holding off closest challenger Raheem Watt (7:48) of Central Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
In the Years 9-10 girls’ event, Loula Paizi (Clapton Girls Academy) matched Keto’s achievement by claiming her second win of the season at Emirates Stadium.
Felix Waters triumphed in the Years 7-8 girls’ race in a time of 7:59, with fellow Stoke Newington students Lily McKay (8:17) and Meg Naylor (8:28) completing a clean sweep of the top three places.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
The next league race will be run at Clissold Park in March, with Finsbury Park staging the climax to the series later that month.
Finsbury Park is also the venue for the Islington Schools’ cross-country championships, which take place on Wednesday January 15.